Would this work as an alternative to UVB lighting

Finn

Location (City and/or State)
Incheon
Hello :tort:

Somehow I came across a blog post saying that UVB lamp isn't so effective (checking the uvb meter).
I know it's not the most reliable source, but I still gave it a thought.

Would an open window (with screening) work? I heard that screens do block uvb but not so much. I will definitely take the tortoise outside for some direct sunlight during the summer, but I mean for the winter. And will a ceramic heating emitter(s) or a spot lamp(s) keep the temperature if I do this? (I am living in Korea and I am planning on getting a marginated tortoise, so I cannot not do the heating.)

Anyways, suggestions on good uva/uvb lamps if you believe this is not going to work? Multiple will be very helpful because I might not be able to find the one you are talking about here.

Thank you all !

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Ceramic heat emitters work great. The problem is if the window is open the ambient outdoor temperatures will supersede the heat emitter and could cause issues of health if it's cool outside. During the summer yeah that's a great idea. UVB particles bounce around until they are absorbed into a plant or anything it sticks too. Yes screens do filter a little of it, but it's better than the window being closed. Outside full time during weather permitting days would be best.