Would this be good?

Kimberly P

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan U.S.A.
Trying to move away from the produce isle to growing my own tort feed. Found this and it looked good to me from what I've been reading but, wanted to get other opinions on it as well.
Goat Pasture Seed Mix:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230952474953?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
"blend includes equal parts of;alfalfa, chicory, medium red clover, white ladino clover, dutch white clover and perennial rye grass"
I also ordered some Dandelion and Coleus mix seeds and plan to add some "Dry-Climate Browsing Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Are these a good enough variety of plants to start with?

Kimberly P

Michigan U.S.A.
good enuf for starters. Plant some Rose of Sharon and some cactus too..
Will do but this is more for growing inside, to feed over the winter. Next year I'll seed their outdoor pen with these and plant some rose bushes, Rose of Sharon, succulents and see what cactus might work in my area or might just have to buy cactus pads online?

Kimberly P

Michigan U.S.A.
Sounds like a good mix to me for a sully or a leo. The tortoise supply grazer mix is what I use and it grows fast!
Yes, this is for my leo's, hopefully the Browsing Mix will grow fast for them too. The sooner I can get this to them the better off they'll be. :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
If you have a hispanic grocery store near you they may have cactus. If not, I order mine online and have started a pad to grow my own. I also transplanted several weeds from my yard too.

Kimberly P

Michigan U.S.A.
If you have a hispanic grocery store near you they may have cactus. If not, I order mine online and have started a pad to grow my own. I also transplanted several weeds from my yard too.
Hi lismar79, thank you for the tips. Will the cactus be able to grow outside or are you growing it indoors? I'm guessing your temps are pretty close to mine so, if it will grow outdoors what kind is it? Other than plantains, I'm really bad at plant ID, I mean REALLY BAD. lol So, I figured I'd play it safe and plant their pen myself with safe seed mixes come spring.

manmythlegend

5 Year Member
There are a few opuntia cactus (the prickly pear variety) that can handle colder weather. I don't know if it can handle Michigan type cold but my grandmother grew it in Northern Mississippi and they can get down into the minus zero digits with wind chill factored in.

1 German Shepherd "Ali"
1 Bullmastiff "Goober"
1 male Ornate Uromastyx "Otis"
2 Fresh water aquariums (1 Lake Malawi biotope and 1 full of Rainbow fish)
1 Leopard Tortoise "Ernest T./Ernestine" (depending on the eventual sex)

M

Maggie Cummings

Will do but this is more for growing inside, to feed over the winter. Next year I'll seed their outdoor pen with these and plant some rose bushes, Rose of Sharon, succulents and see what cactus might work in my area or might just have to buy cactus pads online?

I live in the Pacific North West and I grow cactus pads in pots Spring and Summer then put them in my homemade green house when the winter comes. My tortoises have cactus pads year round...