Worried new owner

Sarah mcardle

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon tyne
img_2839-png.200971
Hi,I'm new to the forum,Iv recently bought 2 tortoises both horsfield one a Russian,they were both kept in a very hot viv together before I got them ,they now have tortoise tables,I separated them as the small one (female) kept attacking the big one to the point Olly the Russian would tip lunna over on her back,it's took them a little while to adjust to open top tables ,I know the smaller one has something wrong with her scutes,Iv tried looking on other sites to see if theres others like her,they seem a lot happier now,at first they were terrified ,not been handled much and never been bathed until I got them,Iv had them around 6 weeks now! Do you think they have shell rot?since getting them they do look a lot more healthier and happier than before! I know the smaller one looks like pyramiding on photo but her shell is quite flat and rounded,I'm just a bit worried and seem to be spending my days searching the net ,researching and such,thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Shell rot usually only happens on the bottom shell, plastron. From what I see of them in your pic they look fine. Post a pic of the bottom shell if you think there's a problem there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sarah, and welcome to the Forum!

You were smart to separate them. Most likely, even though the smaller one is smaller and younger, it is probably a male, and male Russians are pretty aggressive about other tortoises in their territory.

There's nothing wrong with his shell. He's just a very young tortoise that has grown a bit fast. As he ages he'll start looking better.

Sarah mcardle

Newcastle upon tyne
Thanks for replying,previous owner said he or she was female,Iv tried figuring it out but to young to know for sure,it scared me when I watched them ,then all of a sudden she started biting his legs and head,then he rammed her making her roll on her back,I was scared to leave house after that,I had to keep them in viv for just under 2 weeks till there new tables come ,they don't seem to miss each other,Russian was quite withdrawn when they shared,but now he's doing much better in his own company ,thanks