Worried about pyramiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipez

5 Year Member
First off thank you for the forums this is a great resource for a new tortoise owner.
This is my red foot named Flash the bottom of her shell measures 3" and I'm wondering if her growth appears normal or is there early signs of pyramiding here?
374489_10151348359191955_435165123_n.jpg
Her diet is leafy greens (spring mix), vitamin supplements, calcium and occasional fruit. Temperature and humidity is controlled by a hygrotherm

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Looks like smooth growth to me :D

Looking good!

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Looks good, nice growth, but I might suggest a diet change..
Deprnding on the spring mix, it's not the best. Try greens like collards, turnips, dandelion, mustard, anymore fruits. 25/10/65 fruit to veggies to greens is good.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
How much sun is she getting? I mean outside sun? But she looks good. Do u mean u can see ridges around her scutes?

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Great looking tort! Tommy is the same size and species! Did you take my tort?!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi pipez, and welcome to the Forum!

Flash is a beautiful tortoise!

pipez

5 Year Member
Being from Toronto when I got her it was too cool to be outside so I keep the UVB lamp on 10 - 12 hours per day. Speaking of which if there are any members from Toronto who can recommend a good place to get her groceries I would appreciate it.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Pretty sure any grocery store. If concerned you can try to find local or organic grown veggies. Just make sure they're on the safe list! I give Rosie spring mix, mustard greens, collard greens, small amounts of kale, small amounts of chard, weeds, wandering jew, squash, berries, peaches, pears, apple, small banana pieces, melon, shredded carrot, and mazuri with small amounts of poultry meat cooked plain. When outside she sometimes gets an earthworm or beetle or cicada carcass as well. She loves the dead cicada eyes and it creeps me out! She always seems to find them too... >.>

And on occasion things like kiwi, kiwi berries, grapes, romaine lettuce, and green leaf lettuce.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
pipez said:
Being from Toronto when I got her it was too cool to be outside so I keep the UVB lamp on 10 - 12 hours per day. Speaking of which if there are any members from Toronto who can recommend a good place to get her groceries I would appreciate it.

Hello and welcome! I'm in Toronto too :)
I found these little gems at the grocery store ( Loblaws and Pape Market) which I plant straight into the coco coir. They each last about a week, she eats them, and price wise it may be a bit pricier than buying them by the bunch but since I don't throw any away, it seems reasonable to me.

The kale is definitely her favorite, she guards it like its gold :-D

I forgot to add... Flash looks good :) With daily warm soaks, right temps range and good fresh foods, she'll stay on the right path. Spending a lot of time on this forum is good too, very friendly and helpful advice :)

Attachments

• image-557176465.png
    image-557176465.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • image-1332985049.png
    image-1332985049.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
Status
Not open for further replies.