Worms in hatchling

LRacks4

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento CA
I have a hatchling sulcata whose sac had not fully absorbed and I see white worms or maggots running around in and out of its shell and sac. What should I do!? I want my little guy to live!!

Attachments

• 328D30C2-222C-411A-9418-25C1CC910379.jpeg
    328D30C2-222C-411A-9418-25C1CC910379.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
  • 13923E9D-1191-451B-B795-38B3BC749473.jpeg
    13923E9D-1191-451B-B795-38B3BC749473.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 117

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's a desert tortoise, not a sulcata. That is not a "sac". This poor baby has been preyed upon by something, likely a raven, possibly a rat, and the predator was interrupted. The fly eggs generally take 24-48 hours to hatch, so the maggots you are seeing were deposited yesterday or the day before.

Where did you find this baby?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's not a Sulcata. Looks like a Desert Tortoise. Are you keeping it in a brooder box?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Clean all the maggots off. From the look of his half closed eyes, he's feeling pretty low, maybe even in pain.

Set him up in a small hospital tank where you can keep the temperature 80-85°F day and night. Keep the raw parts on his tummy clean and covered with Neosporin.

I don't think he's going to make it, but try your best.

LRacks4

Sacramento CA
That's a desert tortoise, not a sulcata. That is not a "sac". This poor baby has been preyed upon by something, likely a raven, possibly a rat, and the predator was interrupted. The fly eggs generally take 24-48 hours to hatch, so the maggots you are seeing were deposited yesterday or the day before.

Where did you find this baby?
He’s been inside a green house under a heat lamp since he was in his egg. So it could have very well been a fly. I picked him up from a breeder today. And I noticed it right away! What can I do to help him!? He’s just too cute and I’m scared for him!

LRacks4

Sacramento CA
Clean all the maggots off. From the look of his half closed eyes, he's feeling pretty low, maybe even in pain.

Set him up in a small hospital tank where you can keep the temperature 80-85°F day and night. Keep the raw parts on his tummy clean and covered with Neosporin.

How do I clean him?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
He’s been inside a green house under a heat lamp since he was in his egg. So it could have very well been a fly. I picked him up from a breeder today. And I noticed it right away! What can I do to help him!? He’s just too cute and I’m scared for him!
What kind of breeder doesn't know the difference between a Sulcata and Desert tortoise and would sell a hatchling in this condition? Please share so others can avoid this person.

LRacks4

Sacramento CA
How do I clean him?

I think I got all the maggots out. I cleaned him pretty good. Trying to be careful with the sac. How should I apply neosporin? He’s also back under his heating lamp with a clean area and clean water.

Attachments

• 388000E0-4FA4-4590-8EEC-E680F0B67394.jpeg
    388000E0-4FA4-4590-8EEC-E680F0B67394.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pat the area dry and , using your finger, dab on the Neosporin over any areas that look raw.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think I got all the maggots out. I cleaned him pretty good. Trying to be careful with the sac. How should I apply neosporin? He’s also back under his heating lamp with a clean area and clean water.
Show us a picture of the plastron please. In your original pics it looks the the whole back side of theta area and right thigh is exposed tissue. If this tortoise just hatched it needs to be in a brooder box set up. Read these:

This is a different species, but much more detail on hatchling care:

LRacks4

Sacramento CA
After I washed and rinsed him and his shell with a baster I think all the maggots are gone. I haven’t seen one since. And a good amount washed away in the water. He’s really active and seems to look a lot better.

Attachments

• F5FA2E8D-8D21-40B2-BEC6-791A951A8238.jpeg
    F5FA2E8D-8D21-40B2-BEC6-791A951A8238.jpeg
    934.5 KB · Views: 61

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Just put a small amount of Neosporin on the wound...