Woody laid eggs

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
Woody, who I thought was a male, laid four eggs. I'm assuming similar to chickens, they can lay unfertilized eggs (haven't seen any other leos sneaking in the yard). What should I do with the eggs or with Woody (extra calcium?)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How old is Woody? When was the last time "he" would have had contact with another tortoise?

Leopards can store sperm for five years and still lay viable eggs. If you raised Woody from a baby and "he's" never had contact with a male since reaching adulthood, then the eggs cannot be fertile. If you bought Woody as an adult from a group 3 years ago, then the eggs could be fertile.

Will you change the name to Jesse now? "There's a snake in my boot…"

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
Woody is about 5 and a half years. I got her as a baby and she never has had interaction with other leos.

That's really interesting about their mating/birth. I had no idea.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Follow up question. Her eggs were all soft. Does this indicate anything?

Maybe. Maybe not…

First time moms will usually drop some "duds" or soft shelled eggs on the surface when they reach maturity and are ready to start reproducing, so if that is your case, it seems "normal". On the other hand, it could also indicate a need for more calcium in the diet. I'm inclined to go with the former, but it won't hurt to add pinch of calcium to her diet a couple times a week for a while.

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
She is now outdoors full time. I moved to central Texas area so it's nice and hot. She sleeps/hides in a dog crate outside too. Feeding is going through some changes. She was eating mostly spring mix with occasional mazuri and calcium powder. Recently diet included a wide variety of veggies (still spring mix, arugula, cucumber, tomato, romaine lettuce-for some reason Woody and my dogs are in love with it). Kale and other lettuces are planted but she doesn't eat those much. But since she is eating a ridiculous amount of fresh veggies, I don't have enough money for an awesome daily salad. So I'm switching back to mostly mazuri, spring mix and arugula. I'll add some more calcium powder than I have been giving, but she nibbles on cuttle bone every couple weeks. Any suggestions?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
She is now outdoors full time. I moved to central Texas area so it's nice and hot. She sleeps/hides in a dog crate outside too. Feeding is going through some changes. She was eating mostly spring mix with occasional mazuri and calcium powder. Recently diet included a wide variety of veggies (still spring mix, arugula, cucumber, tomato, romaine lettuce-for some reason Woody and my dogs are in love with it). Kale and other lettuces are planted but she doesn't eat those much. But since she is eating a ridiculous amount of fresh veggies, I don't have enough money for an awesome daily salad. So I'm switching back to mostly mazuri, spring mix and arugula. I'll add some more calcium powder than I have been giving, but she nibbles on cuttle bone every couple weeks. Any suggestions?

I asked as D3 can act like/is a precursor to some reproductive regulation. It is interesting that Woody began to produce eggs at this age and size, BTW how big is Woody?