Wood enclosure getting wet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bannana

5 Year Member
I am currently working on a wooden enclosure for a yellowfoot that will eventually be enclosed.my concern is with humidity above 80 at all times, will the wood get wet and become moldy? Most other closed chambers seem to be left as just normal wood,does that mean it should be ok? If not what should I do?ImageUploadedByTortForum1373233441.158406.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
You should be worried it will eventually mold, lots if people either seal the wood or use tarp, or shower curtains to help "waterproof" it

bannana

5 Year Member
Millerlite said:
You should be worried it will eventually mold, lots if people either seal the wood or use tarp, or shower curtains to help "waterproof" it

Lining it seems hard what should I use to make it stay in place?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Staple gun works for me. I use tarp cuz I have a lot of it laying around. But I measure each wall and cut out what I need, then staple each side down, it overlaps where he seams are.

I use to just use the whole tarp and full it and fold it then staple it but the cutting pieces out works better.

bannana

5 Year Member
Millerlite said:
Staple gun works for me. I use tarp cuz I have a lot of it laying around. But I measure each wall and cut out what I need, then staple each side down, it overlaps where he seams are.

I use to just use the whole tarp and full it and fold it then staple it but the cutting pieces out works better.

Interesting could i possibly see your enclosure to see how this all looks?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have used unsealed wood for years with no liner and it works fine for me and it will last years. The one I use is outside so Im not real worried about it. I wouldnt do that indoors[/i]

zman7590

5 Year Member
If u staple though make sure to deal staples with something

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You could also use a section of vinyl floor covering on the floor and up the walls.

jojap

5 Year Member
I know it might SOUND complicated, but go buy a 4x8 sheet of white shower liner at lowes, it is very flimsy. Cut the pieces to fit the walls and floor, use liquid nails to apply it and then use tub silicone in all the corners and it will last forever. You could do it all for about $30 and you only need a good pair of sheers and a caulk gun. It would take only about 30 minutes to do if your walls are square. If you are worried about the caulked seems then cover it with sticks of PVC bead moulding, two pieces should do your whole enclosure and run about an extra $4.

J REED

5 Year Member
I have mine lined with plastic almost to top of substrate. Stopped about an inch short of substrate surface so they wouldn't chew the plastic.

Jeremy

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
I personally like spray liner (rubberized spray) for $8 at the hardware store. Seals everything and provides a scratch resistant barrier. Then spray the outside with a non-toxic sealant ($4 at hardware store). Then everything can be easily wiped down.

That said looking at your pics, a liner as mentioned above will be more cost effective short term based on size (relative, likely wont need replacement of the liner for at least a year or more likely two, minimum) if you are on a budget. Just use liquid nails as suggested or stainless steel staples, the standard staples will rust.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I have used the linoleum flooring before, that worked really well, and I am going to be using tarps on my next ones as they are easier to put in and cheaper to get everything. I also suggest getting some silicone sealant and seal over the staples/nails that go through so that they don't rust or allow leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.