Wood alternatives

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Looking to upgrade my enclosure (2 story 4x6x8 wood enclosure with plastic liner) wondering what material I could use/where to get it from. I hate having to exchange liber and worry about humidity/mold. Also don't want to paint and have to cure for weeks or redo it 5-10 years later. Was looking at pvc but the only one availible at lowes is a 4x8 that seemed overly maluable(could score with my nail pretty easily) was wonder what materials people use besides wood and were I could get it.

New York
I've seen similar at lowes and the only problem is it would take about 13 packs for the size I want nd well over a grand, for that much I could just custom order.

daniellenc

Maryland
Hence why people custom order. You have a choice of wood which even after treating warps and molds overtime. When I priced out wood, glass for doors, sealants, and hardware, etc $500 easy to do it right. You can get a good 3-5 years before replacing. Good PVC with all the similar fixings $800-$1,000. Pros is you can customize to your exact liking and needs buuuut you need the tools and skills to make it worth the expense and effort.....personally I lack this but you may be different. When I priced out what I really wanted in a PVC self-made enclosure I’d of topped $1,200 easy and probably more with learning curve errors. Look up animal plastics. I’m sure you have already. Yes they’re pricey and take forever but for a single mom like me fail proof. Don’t know your plastic working skills but I went with AP because I didn’t want to rebuild wood enclosures every few years and overtime it’s cost prohibitive. I didn’t want to PVC myself cause I’m inexperienced and it’s not a cheap material to learn with. Lastly, I sent my lights and radiant heat panels there and they deliver. Lazy route in fairness btw over a 10 year period is cost effective over wood but if you have plastic skills splurge on better quality PVC. Or just move to Florida and house your buddy outside hehe.

New York
Hence why people custom order. You have a choice of wood which even after treating warps and molds overtime. When I priced out wood, glass for doors, sealants, and hardware, etc $500 easy to do it right. You can get a good 3-5 years before replacing. Good PVC with all the similar fixings $800-$1,000. Pros is you can customize to your exact liking and needs buuuut you need the tools and skills to make it worth the expense and effort.....personally I lack this but you may be different. When I priced out what I really wanted in a PVC self-made enclosure I’d of topped $1,200 easy and probably more with learning curve errors. Look up animal plastics. I’m sure you have already. Yes they’re pricey and take forever but for a single mom like me fail proof. Don’t know your plastic working skills but I went with AP because I didn’t want to rebuild wood enclosures every few years and overtime it’s cost prohibitive. I didn’t want to PVC myself cause I’m inexperienced and it’s not a cheap material to learn with. Lastly, I sent my lights and radiant heat panels there and they deliver. Lazy route in fairness btw over a 10 year period is cost effective over wood but if you have plastic skills splurge on better quality PVC. Or just move to Florida and house your buddy outside hehe.
I've looked at ap and knowing that most wood enclosures cost double the material cost I wanted to find were I could get similar plastics, or if there is some other magical material. For those who don't have the means to build I think companies like ap are great, I just don't want to spend an extra 600$ for something I can do myself.