won't eat cactus. Picky eater?

Michael Malone

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Tx
I have Tryed chopping, mashing. Mixing with his other greens and putting the whole pad in he isn't showing any interest he eats around it when its mixed with his other food and the most attention he has shown it is when he crapped all over the pad lol. When I got him all the guy before was feeding him was iceberg and he was very easy to get switched over to weeds and grass so Im not sure why this is so difficult. Is it possible he just does not like cactus??

threeboxerlover

5 Year Member
Newark, DE
I have Tryed chopping, mashing. Mixing with his other greens and putting the whole pad in he isn't showing any interest he eats around it when its mixed with his other food and the most attention he has shown it is when he crapped all over the pad lol. When I got him all the guy before was feeding him was iceberg and he was very easy to get switched over to weeds and grass so Im not sure why this is so difficult. Is it possible he just does not like cactus??
I have two Hermanns - one LOVES it and will pick it out of her salad pile, the other won't touch it - he eats around it. I too have tried giving it to him multiple ways - I guess he's just not fond of it.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Mine likes it every other time, lol.

I wouldn't worry about it, if he's got a good diet otherwise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

The baby in your avatar pic?

This is totally normal. Tortoises eat what they've eaten before. He doesn't recognize it as food. This is just one of the many downsides of buying a baby from someone who doesn't start them right. All of my hatchlings see cactus pads by day 3 or 4 after hatching and again many times before they go to their new homes.

Since the breeder didn't do this work for you, it will take weeks or months for you to do it. You might get lucky and find some new foods that your tortoise takes to quickly, but most of the good stuff will take a long time for you to introduce. Be patient. Keep trying. Don't give up. It can take months sometimes. Once your baby is about 10" long, it will likely eat anything you put in front of it. You will have a moment of panic where you ponder how you are going to continue to feed this ravenous monster on a daily basis. When that moment strikes, remember Tom's two words: Grass hay. :D

Michael Malone

Dallas, Tx
Yup that's the little one in the pic. I'm just glad he took to the grass so easily and the dandelion greens. I was really worried after I read all the story's on here about switching them over. But 50% of his food mix is still romaine cause I want to make sure he is still gaining weight and getting full but that's just at his main daily feeding. Before I leave for work and when I get home I hit up the pond behind my house for weeds and grass that way there is a constant food source for him. I have saw ur posts about the hay also I really can't wait for that day I feel like the care will become easier when they will eat what ever u put in front of them lol

Angie312

Covina, CA
My Cal Desert does not care for it either. In fact I'm having a bit of the same problem. I inherited him from someone who was mainly feeding him Romaine. That's all he wants :/ I try to give him "healthier" greens, but most of the time he just ignores them. He does have a patch of grass in his enclosure that he munches on though:

Angie312

Covina, CA
Keep at it and be patient.

@Angie312, your tortoise is a grass eater so it’s good he enjoys it. He needs it!
Oh good! I bought some Desert Tortoise Forage Grass mixed seeds and planted them in a little nursery tray, but they did not grow :/ I do NOT have a green thumb lol. Where else can I get tortoise safe grasses?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
His enclosure is outside, I think? Just plant some of your existing seeds there or in another patch of your yard and keep it damp in this warm weather until it gets settled. Someplace he can’t trample it; the seeds need light and space to grow.

If you have to plant the grass in a different spot than his enclosure, you can build him a temporary enclosure there with patio brick/pavers when the grass grows in and set him out there to graze. If you go that direction, you can get help on how to set up something like it in the enclosures thread.

Angie312

Covina, CA
His enclosure is outside, I think? Just plant some of your existing seeds there or in another patch of your yard and keep it damp in this warm weather until it gets settled. Someplace he can’t trample it; the seeds need light and space to grow.

If you have to plant the grass in a different spot than his enclosure, you can build him a temporary enclosure there with patio brick/pavers when the grass grows in and set him out there to graze. If you go that direction, you can get help on how to set up something like it in the enclosures thread.
Yes his enclosure is outside. I think I can just plant the seeds directly in there but he may eat the young grass shoots before they fully grow haha. Well at least I saved half the package in case the seeds did not grow the first time around. Thank you for your suggestions. Everyone on here is so helpful!