Wondering about Spring and fall sick tortoises

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
it seems every spring and fall, when the temps are roller coasting from warm/hot to cool/cold there are a lot of threads about sick tortoises and they are from all over, not just the northern colder states. Most of them seem to be little ones, couple years or usually even younger and usually housed inside still with visits outside.
I have in the past, made threads reminding members to double check their heating elements and make adjustments where needed. Most with the sick torts have said that their temps were all good.
Any ideas why there always seems to be such a spike in sick tortoises at these times of the year?
All opionions, theories and thoughts welcomed. @Tom @tortadise @N2TORTS @Gerards @DeanS @Yvonne G @Jacqui @any one else:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not seeing any such spike. Its normal to see all the "breeder failure syndrome" stuff in spring because a lot of tortoises hatch out at this time through late summer.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would say if this is happening and if it is normally the small tortoises, it is a temperature thing. Your saying these animals are small and going outside, right?

This time of year the temperature may say 70 and feel like 80 but the ground itself may be much colder. It takes awhile for the ground to actually warm up. Coupled with small body mass, even slight temperature changes can be a huge thing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Two very good points. Lots of hatchlings this time of year which will raise the hatchling Syndrome deaths and coupled with the temp swings in both spring and fall, most probably don't think to shoot the actual ground temp when it seems sunny and warm. Yet, possible cold ground being cold nights may have been in play, like we have been having this spring here ourselves.
I do see more sick threads in the spring, but fall is close behind.