Winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meggers

5 Year Member
First off do RT hibernate in winter? He's been lazy, not eating as much. I put his food on a little plate and lately when I come home from school I find it flip or and the food is dumbed. I'm confused with this action.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes they do. But don't have to. I can't help you more then that. However, give the temps in the enclosure and someone can help you out on either hibernating (brumating ) him or what to do if you don't want him too. Let them also know which you want to do.

joseppa96

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I read that if you make sure his temperatures are normal, like usual, that he won't hibernate, but if you want him to hibernate then you drop his temperatures below 50 I think it was, but I'm not completely sure, look for a thread on it:)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I believe that this tort is new to you...right? I went and looked in your prior posts and find that you acquired your tort in or around June...I personally believe that you should hold off on brumation this winter...I find that it is beneficial to have cared for your new tort for at least a full year of seasons before considering brumation....this way you have had a full year to set up the best conditions for your tort (feeding, sunning and such)with brumation as part of the plan...this also gives you the time to research ALOT on facilitating brumation for your tort to give the best opportunity for a fantastic outcome....:D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Your tortoise is not going to brumate (hibernate) indoors if the temperatures within it's enclosure and the light duration and intensity are the same as they've always been.

What are the daytime, night time & basking temperatures? What type of lighting are you using and how long are they on during the day?

Meggers

5 Year Member
So I checked the temps basking spot 95 degrees and cool side 70 degrees pretty normal temps.

Meggers

5 Year Member
Well before I got to school around 7 am
And off when I go to bed at 10pm

Status
Not open for further replies.