Winter Rye and White Clover for the Enclosure?

TortLaw

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I'm redoing my enclosure today-all fresh coco, sphagnum moss, cypress mulch, new hides, etc. I found a local garden center here that I had never been to before and they had a bunch of seeds. I was so excited and wanted to get some just for cover in the enclosure for free feeding and helping with humidity. My enclosure, btw, is a 4' X 8' box in a shed which used to be a chicken coop and has electricity.

So my question is, is it safe for my redfoots (3 of them about 3, 4, and 5 inches) to free feed off of the Winter Rye and White Clover? Those were the only two seeds I got for the enclosure because they didn't have mixtures, didn't really have weeds except the White Clover and although they had more grasses, I don't know if my torts like grasses yet. I read up on White Clover and it seemed to be fine, but then after I bought it, I came across some other information that made me question whether free feeding when not in a seed mix was safe. I'm still confident that the Winter Rye is, but I thought I'd throw that in here as well while I'm asking. I will still be feeding them their normal diet as well. Thanks!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
I don't have winter rye specifically, but I grow other varieties of ryegrass and several varieties of clover (including white) and my sully loves them all!

Prairie Mom

. but then after I bought it, I came across some other information that made me question whether free feeding when not in a seed mix was safe.
I can't imagine there would be anything wrong with it. If it was ALL your tortoise ate, that wouldn't be healthy and would probably give them gas, but that isn't your plan. What about it did they imply may not be safe? If you're looking to add a little more diversity, you could always step outside and grab a few ready-to-blow-away puffs of dandelion and just lay the puffy seeds on top of your coir without burying it, and mist them regularly.