Will this size be okay temporarily?

Bager

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle area, Washington
I'm sorry if this has already been asked.

I'm looking to adopt a Russian Tortoise! Don't worry, I've spent many, many... MANY hours researching them (and will continue to, this site has been very helpful) :p Of course it's a bit of an investment though so we (my family & I) want to take our time making a proper enclosure and making sure we are completely ready to handle any new situations or expenses with our new addition! I did find a Russian Tortoise who needs to be rehomed nearby though for a much lower price than any I've been able to find online (haven't found any local breeders yet) and even comes with some basic equipment like substrate, heat lamp, and a few other things which could be very helpful getting started and also does have an enclosure too. Right now he lives in (and comes with) a wooden zoo med reptile box (36" x 12" x 24" I believe from the website), if we were to adopt him do you guys think he would be okay in that enclosure for a short, temporary amount of time while we build his new better, bigger one? I'm sure I would be able to fix his up now too so its as nice as possible for the time being (and get him a UV light too...).

I haven't been given an exact date yet as to when we can get started on this enclosure and I believe if we were to get him that this would give us that little push we need to get to work and also save us a bit in materials and supplies and him himself really :)

So yes, tell me what you guys think! I haven't seen him in person though he suppose to be only a few years old but full grown, so probably around 5-8'. Thank you!

EDIT

Here's a link to the enclosure so you can see it's layout and such.
http://zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=245&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=5

Last edited:

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
For a short time he will be ok. The lack of a uv light is prob a bigger issue!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since the tortoise is already living in this enclosure, it would be fine...as long as you realize that those Zoo Med tortoise houses are WAY TOO SMALL for a Russian tortoise, and plan to give him more space as soon as you can.

Bager

Seattle area, Washington
Thank you guys, this really helped! I'm going to go ahead and try to get him ^^ I think building a new, bigger enclosure will be fun too. We'd work to finish that as soon as possible :) Thanks!

For a short time he will be ok. The lack of a uv light is prob a bigger issue!

Yeah, I hope she just forgot to include it in her ad. All it said was heat lamp though :( I'm new to tortoise owning (though have done my research and will continue too), can you recommend a uv light brand? Thank you.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Thank you guys, this really helped! I'm going to go ahead and try to get him ^^ I think building a new, bigger enclosure will be fun too. We'd work to finish that as soon as possible :) Thanks!

Yeah, I hope she just forgot to include it in her ad. All it said was heat lamp though :( I'm new to tortoise owning (though have done my research and will continue too), can you recommend a uv light brand? Thank you.
Power sun is good is a good brand and so is lightmyreptiles.com. if you call todd there he will hook you up with all that you need.

Bager

Seattle area, Washington
Where in the world are you? If your tort can spend many hours in an outside tort pen each week, you can save$ and don't need to buy any artificial UV lighting ;)

Sorry about my late reply. I live near Seattle, we gets lots of rain and clouds so I don't think I could do that. That would be nice though if I lived in a sunnier area. We actually get pretty good summers though so I'll be sure to make him at least a small daytime outdoor enclosure so he can enjoy natural sunlight :)