Will this baby die? What should I do?

Jmort85

Location (City and/or State)
Normal
I've never handled eggs before. (Turtle laid them all over the house) The other two caved in quick but I kept this one because it looked ok. Today is day 90 and it started caving in like the others and was getting moldy, I hadn't been keeping it moist either. So I very much assumed it was a goner and let my boys open it. Well, there is a baby in there and it's moving. I feel super awful... Is there anything we can do? It's still in the sac I think.

IMG_20181119_162936728.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It probably won't live. However I would put a plastic bowl over it and put a couple pin holes in the side of the bowl. Keep the paper towel it's on moist and keep him warm around 86.
I can't remember for sure who has tried keeping a premature hatch or cracked egg alive but it might be @HermanniChris or possibly @shellfreak

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Awww, the poor little guy - good luck, follow the advice!

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana
Arizona Sulcata has done a thread under this same breeding forum about incubating eggs without an eggshell. Prognosis isn’t good, though.

TortoiseRacket

New York
Try wrapping the baby and egg yolk in a moist cling wrap and put it in an incubator at 84 degrees Fahrenheit. Poke one hole in the cling wrap for ventilation. I wish you the best of luck!
-Mickey

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For future egg clutches, the reason your eggs started collapsing was because they need to be kept moist.