Will Corid(amprolium) from chicken droppings kill a Sulcata?

Cheeriodahling

Location (City and/or State)
Weatherford, TX
I’ve been told it will, but I’m now reading it will not. My two and a half year old Sulcata(25ish lbs) roams our property with chickens, but they need a round of Corid. She is a lover of all things animal poop ?‍♀️.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve been told it will, but I’m now reading it will not. My two and a half year old Sulcata(25ish lbs) roams our property with chickens, but they need a round of Corid. She is a lover of all things animal poop ?‍♀️.
I've never fed that or chicken droppings to a sulcata to find out. No one should. Your tortoise needs its own space separate from the chickens.

Cheeriodahling

Weatherford, TX
I will go ahead and remove the plate of chicken droppings that I was feeding my tort. How stupid of me. The backhanded reply was unnecessary, and keeps people from ever asking questions in the first place.

To clarify, we have half an acre of shared space for our animals to roam. It has lush grass, plenty of shade, and our tort likes to go non-stop, I can have any number of tasty edibles in front of her, and if a dog does it’s business beside it she’s going to go for it. For now, we are supervising her and moving her as soon as we see her making a beeline for it. When she’s much larger that’s not going to be possible. I simply wanted to know if she does eat a chicken dropping before we can stop it, will the Corid hurt her? That’s all. She’s not housed with them in any way other than to get some exercise and eat grass and weeds. She seldom even tries to go for chicken droppings - mostly dog. If at all possible, I’d like for her to not be confined to a much smaller space all day long. If that’s not possible, she will stay inside of her area.

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Sorry, personally I would not ever allow any dog in my Sulcata pen to poop and pee. Why would you allow anything in an area that a tortoise has to eat grass/weeds with urine on it, or just simply eating dog poop is disgusting.
Frankly, Tom gave you an answer that most of us tort keepers would have given. It was not a "backhanded reply", he gave his bottom line opinion. You asked for it, he gave you an honest very educated answer.
I'm going to assume that your comment about feeding your tortoise chicken poop on a plate was just being sarcastic. Much more sarcastic than Tom. I think that you were out of line, Tom just gave you his answer to your question.
Why would you ask a question the argue with the reply?
100_8169.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will go ahead and remove the plate of chicken droppings that I was feeding my tort. How stupid of me. The backhanded reply was unnecessary, and keeps people from ever asking questions in the first place.

To clarify, we have half an acre of shared space for our animals to roam. It has lush grass, plenty of shade, and our tort likes to go non-stop, I can have any number of tasty edibles in front of her, and if a dog does it’s business beside it she’s going to go for it. For now, we are supervising her and moving her as soon as we see her making a beeline for it. When she’s much larger that’s not going to be possible. I simply wanted to know if she does eat a chicken dropping before we can stop it, will the Corid hurt her? That’s all. She’s not housed with them in any way other than to get some exercise and eat grass and weeds. She seldom even tries to go for chicken droppings - mostly dog. If at all possible, I’d like for her to not be confined to a much smaller space all day long. If that’s not possible, she will stay inside of her area.
There was nothing backhanded about my reply. Your tortoise should not have access to dog poo or chicken poo because they will eat it and it can make them sick. I understand exactly what you meant about your animals having a large shared space, and I'm telling you they shouldn't. No other animals should have access to your tortoise or its pen, and your tortoise shouldn't have access to areas where chickens, dogs, or other animals are defecating. As I said previously, in plain English with no sarcasm, your tortoise needs its own space separate from the chickens and especially from dogs, which are in competition with dehydration for the number one killer of tortoises. I'm on a five acre ranch with a couple dozen chickens, pigeons, dogs, cats, parrots, emu, a donkey, and an assortment of other animals. Those animals don't go into the tortoise pens, and the tortoises don't go into theirs.

Nothing backhanded here. Just sound, experience based advice. I don't know whether or not Corid is toxic to torts, because, honestly with no sarcasm, torts are never exposed to it. Most people know not to keep tortoises with poultry. An experienced reptile vet might know the answer to this question, but most vets won't because they don't know torts. Likewise, the vets that treat torts will probably not know about chicken meds, but its worth asking. We do know that Ivermenctin in dog droppings can be toxic to torts, so Corid toxicity is a possibility, but again, the solution is separating the chicken area from the tortoise area.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
my opinon on letting your chickens around your tortoise , my ponds are wildlife magnets , my turtles live with countless wild birds , squirrels , chipmunks , mice and moles , those i know of for sure ....... dogs , been my experience , are dangerous regardless of their poop ..... how often do you treat your chickens with corid ? you can't seperate them while your treating them ? i believe corid clears a bird pretty quickly , like a day , i believe it is safe to eat chicken eggs while they are being treated ............ as far as chicken droppings , i'd imagine one good rain would eliminate any safety concern , if it wasn't safe to begin with , pure amprolium is regarded as practically non-toxic to aquatic organisms ....... just my opinion , a guess, folks may say i'm not guessing with my pet , somebody has to , i've learned a lot making informed guesses .......