Wild Bird Seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So it's been 3 weeks now since I've planted the wild bird seeds I purchased from the feed store. This is what I've got so far.

Mainly some kind of plant/weed (I don't know yet, that's why I'm asking :)) and some grass

2011-06-08_18-22-14_754.jpg

2011-06-08_18-22-31_507.jpg

2011-06-13_08-35-12_249.jpg

Andy doesnt pay attention to either of them right now. But I've gotta know what it is.

Thanks in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your package of seeds should have shown a list of ingredients.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
emysemys said:
Your package of seeds should have shown a list of ingredients.

At the feed store they sell per Lb.

I bought 3 lbs and it came in a brown paper bag. I've called a couple times and they said that they don't know what it grows exactly...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, too bad. Maybe you're in the pet store next time, read the ingredients on a bag of wild bird seed. You can pretty much tell which is grass and which is a broad leaf. I don't recognize it.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
emysemys said:
Aw, too bad. Maybe you're in the pet store next time, read the ingredients on a bag of wild bird seed. You can pretty much tell which is grass and which is a broad leaf. I don't recognize it.

Yeah, that might be what I have to do. I'm not too worried about the grass...it's mainly the broad leaf stuff.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
It's usually some mix of millet, safflower and sunflower, but it depends on what "variety" it is and what it's aimed to attract.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
The plant in the first picture is probably collards, kale or a relative.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Millet (small round white seeds) and Milo (large round red seeds) make up the largest portion of a lot of wild bird seed mixes. These are both grasses. Safflower seedlings remind me of sunflower seedling, but the leaves have shallow serations. The reality of modern agriculture is that your seed mix contains a percentage of undeclared, unintended and maybe even undesireable seeds. You can let them grow until you can get them identified; on a small scale that won't hurt anything.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
The seed is sprouting in Mork's and Mindy's enclosures, but the plants are still too low to identify. I'll post pictures once they get a little taller.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I'll post pictures in a bit of my over grown bird seeds. They aren't the best because I took them this morning and didn't have time to uncover the top of the enclosure.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Here we go, bird seed sprouted and growing!

Mork's enclosure:
dscn2868qf.jpg

Mindy's enclosure:
dscn2870m.jpg

Bird see planted in a pot outside:
dscn2864l.jpg

Looks like it's mostly grass, specifically millet. As for the forbs, they are sprouting from sunflower seeds. The tortoises have grazed on this stuff a little bit, but not very much at all. In fact, they only nibbled on some plants germinating from seeds that had fallen onto the porch by mistake, but I have yet to see them actually feed on the stuff growing in their own pens. In these pictures, you can see them eating collard greens.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hmmmm...that's interesting. So I guess their is different type of wild bird seeds but millet seems to be most common. The stuff grows fast, doesn't it?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Fernando said:
Hmmmm...that's interesting. So I guess their is different type of wild bird seeds but millet seems to be most common. The stuff grows fast, doesn't it?

Yeah, it's only been a couple weeks, and the grass is already several inches high. The forbs appear to be growing a bit more slowly, which is to be expected. I'm curious to see how they look as they continue to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.