Why sulcata has so much uric acid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
Why my sulcata has so much uric acid everyday?! While my Leopard has none. They both eat the same amount of food, same diet, same hydration and bath time, etc...

Can anyone explain biologically? Thanks. As I can't find any explanation online, they only said that Sulcata is the species that has more uric acid.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Get him better hydration, this would be my non biological suggestion :D Keep in mind that you may offer the same exposure to water, but your one tortoise likely does not soak the same or partake of the water the same as your other tortoise does,.....some urates are not BAD but the less the better---what I mean by this is as better hydration occurs less urates are present as they are moved along quicker and not allowed to store up in the system....a tortoise ideally will release fluid when taking in fluid is done.....so this is my opinion....stick around and other will give you their input...the more the merrier :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You really can't compare leopards to sulcatas. Some types of tortoises have urates, some don't. I've never seen urates in my leopard tortoises' urine.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Get him better hydration, this would be my non biological suggestion :D Keep in mind that you may offer the same exposure to water, but your one tortoise likely does not soak the same or partake of the water the same as your other tortoise does,.....some urates are not BAD but the less the better---what I mean by this is as better hydration occurs less urates are present as they are moved along quicker and not allowed to store up in the system....a tortoise ideally will release fluid when taking in fluid is done.....so this is my opinion....stick around and other will give you their input...the more the merrier :D

OK, I see, thanks ^_^

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Sulcatas and Russians seem to produce more than others. I have never seen any from my Stars, Manouria, or Redfoots, but my Russians produce them daily. They are well hydrated.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
My little sulcata had lots when I first got him, but after a few weeks it nearly stopped completely, I see a small blob or two now and then, but it doesn't look like a gob of toothpaste anymore. Just keep hydrating to clean that system out I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.