Why slander another breeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

dds7155

5 Year Member
Hello, i hope the forum lets me post this ,i'm a newbie and last week my baby leo. tort. died ,i was trying to find out if i did anything wrong ? was it the uvb light ?was the tort shell ok? im a very impatient person ( i work on that daily), i even posted a picture of the bottom of his shell on the forum and asked is this normal, I got my baby from Tyler at Tortoise supply, he was at his other job and was going to call me back, being impatient i called a place i got off the internet called turtle shack, ,i talked to a guy at first that asked me to send him pictures and call him back in 10 min. so ,, heres where the lies starts ,, he said he didnt even think it was a leopard , ( i knew it was ,i askd tyler for a light colored one , and he said the bottom of his shell should never look like that ,but hold on and i could talk to the herpetologist, well she got on the phone and asked me where i got him ,i told her tortoise supply and she said she knew Tyler personally and he didnt have any leopards,he got the babies from someone else and he just trying to get in to tortoise breeding , , i couldnt beleive what she was saying, you can just tell when someone is saying such bad things about another person to make them self sound so great, well i knew it was all lies , i had watched the video on tyler's web site long before i brought my baby, of his tortoises and it clearly shows leopards ,but i also seen a youtube video Tyler has made and it;s been on u tube for a while and clearly shows leopards and his dog, i called Tyler's voicemail and asked him to call me as soon as he could ,,i heard something that concerned me greatly, i told Tyler everything they said except about them saying my baby leo wasnt a leo at all, i forgot to tell him that , Tyler has Never even met the lady,, and they done this before , it;s sad cause what if i didnt know it was all lies ? ,, OH yea ,cant forget this, i in no was was expecting Tortoise Supply to replace my baby ,i had him 5 weeks , But they Did , i paid shipping and tue i got Stumpy !! Tortoise Supply are the Tops to me , Don in Memphis

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Surprisingly, the tortoise breeding world is very small...and as such there's a lot of competition which some people obviously take to extreme levels. It's pathetic a lot times, but usually the good guys end up on top which is what it seems like in this case.

I saw the picture you posted, you can barely see the carapace, but there's no doubt it's a leopard...shocking that someone from turtle shack would think it wasn't.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I think you will find that the members of the forum who are breeders are up front and honest in their dealings.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The tortoise world is just like every other world out there. It is a common thing for one business to slander another to make themselves look better and get the sell. Is it right, no. With tortoises as with everything else, take comments, suggests, slander, EVERYthing with a grain of salt, take nothing at face value.

I am glad (and amazed considering the time factor) he sent you another tortoise. THAT is just one way a good business will work to make you a satisfied customer and to help grow their reputation.

dds7155

5 Year Member
Everything is just as they said ,the way she said she knew him personally and they never met

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
My wife and I are very happy with the 2 Greeks that Tyler sent us. If we were ever looking for additional tortoises, we would start at Tortoise Supply.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
WOW that is awful. It really only make the person telling the lies look bad.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What the folks at Turtle Shack didn't realize is that YOU are a member of a very large tortoise forum and you can share this information with hundreds of other turtle/tortoise enthusiasts. It did them absolutely no good to say bad things about Tyler, and it did them much, much harm. We've already heard that Turtle Shack is not a good company to deal with, and now this added onto what we had already heard just means they will get much less business in the future, whether they're a good company or not. Word of mouth is a mean side-kick.

(and, just one more note: I've never heard Tyler say bad things about any of his competition)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Personally if I was running a tortoise business and someone called me and asked about person X I would say I have no knowledge of how they raise or sell their tortoises, businesses who conduct slander to potential customers, is a business I would personally avoid.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Considering the source of the lies, this does not surprise.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
While I have never done business with Tyler, I do find him to be a valuable member of this forum. I would have NO PROBLEM buying from Tyler.

I'm glad you were able to see thru the BS and convey your findings.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
i myself love the way tyler deals with everything. he seems like a very straight forward and honest person. i believe he is more for the torts, not the money! which is the way it should be. i have not personally bought from him (yet) :]

i am soon planning on it!
and i agree. they are not making anything better for themselves or their company.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am a little surprised that you had any problem in the first place. Tyler's stuff is usually top notch and he takes good care of them too. I'm not surprised at all that Tyler is taking excellent care of a customer. He always does.

I find the other companies behavior alarming and appalling. Not a leopard? What???

Status
Not open for further replies.