Why isn't he interested?

tortgirl123

In my outdoor enclosure I have a buffet of food that is growing great! I have mustard greens, chicory, a variation of tort safe flowers, and so orchard grass. They've all grown vastly and are getting nice and green! When I put my tortoise out there he never wants to plow down like I've seen some of your tortoises want to do. Why is this? He's just a baby, could that be why?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What species and age? How many times has he been in that enclosure?

tortgirl123

He's a 4 month old ibera greek. He's been in it I'd say probably 3 days a week for about three weeks

tortgirl123

Now that it's getting warmer I'll probably take him out there every day in the afternoon

M

Maggie Cummings

A baby tort is not going to "plow down" the weeds like a bigger animal. Also I have been told that the taller the grass or weeds the tougher and more starchy they get. I'm thinking he will eat the weeds better as he gets used to being out and is older...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's best to keep growth short for babies. The bigger tortoises will eat older/taller plants, but babies need the tender, young shoots. And if we're talking grass, the older/taller grass get the less palatable it is. So its best to keep it short.

747117wei24kafiu.gif