Why is my Sulcata scared of me?

Aracely_1922

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I’ve had my sulcata for 2 years now I’ve had him since he was just a few weeks old. I’ve handled him such as bringing him inside when it cold or soaking him. He has a new big boy enclosure outside now and I’ll come every morning to bring him food and every-time he sees me he will literally scurry back into his cave, the fastest I’ve ever seen him move 🤣 does anyone else have this with their tortoise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If he is new to being outside in his new big boy enclosure, that's likely the reason. Once he realizes that it's a safe area and you are still the food god, he should go back to normal.
If he's not new to the area, then either something scared him or possibly doesn't want to be bothered in his new big space.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It might also have to do with how you approach him. Try not to surprise him. Hold the food in front of you low down and walk normally towards him. That's what I would do. Any pictures?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve had my sulcata for 2 years now I’ve had him since he was just a few weeks old. I’ve handled him such as bringing him inside when it cold or soaking him. He has a new big boy enclosure outside now and I’ll come every morning to bring him food and every-time he sees me he will literally scurry back into his cave, the fastest I’ve ever seen him move 🤣 does anyone else have this with their tortoise?
That is totally normal. It changes when they reach around 3-4 years old.

Do you have a heated shelter outside for him? Like this: