Why does he do this?

bedia

5 Year Member
Hi! My old greek guy is walking to one end of the garden and circling the same path for almost an hour. This spot has brick walls on both sides, part of it is where we dump empty flower pots etc. He does this circle that goes between the pots among lots of dead leaves and mud. He looks up intently, as if looking for an escape, rams parts of the walls. He does this for almost an hour, then finds a nice spot among the flower pots and takes a nap. It is the coldest, dampest, shadiest part of the garden and he has been doing it since last summer. 3 months of hibernation did not make him forget it. We have a lovely 1/2 acre wild garden where they roam free so I would really like to know what he wants.
All ideas wellcome.
Thank you...

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Wish I could help. If only tortoises could speak and tell us whats wrong.

tortsnmore

Maybe try rearanging the flower pots and other things out there to see what his actions are then

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Maybe that is just part of his routine and no real significance/problem/issue? Kinda like when a dog goes in circles for ever before finally laying down....:D

Aya A.R

Location (City and/or State)
Cairo, Egypt
Its just a routine, they always do this. My greek guy does the exact same in certain places he can go in in the same path and return for an hour or so and I once moved him away because I wanted to clean around he just walked back to it and kept going in the same circle. So don't worry about it but I'd not suggest you rearrange anything it might make him lose interest in his favorite spot.