Why do so many Greek sub-species need identified?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Okay, so even though I don't own one, I like browsing this forum, just for fun, and I always see many greek torts needing identification! Why so? Are they so similar incolor and characteristics that it's hard to tell everyone apart?
Or, are there just more greek subspecies? OR (again:D ) is there just a more diverse population of different greek torts for the pet trade?
Thank you! :)

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
The species is probably better thought of as a "complex"; it has a vast range, and sub-types that are distinct. Many have been proposed as full species, but the most recent molecular genetic analysis of the group is inconclusive about separating any population as a clearly definable species.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
So what is the one, main, 'species' of greek? There has to be one they all stemmed off from?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Locroma summed it up rather well. They hold a very large range. Each sub species from European to North African to Eurasian all display different chacteristics. I'm not versed well on testudo so can't really describe the differences. But size, color, and scutes play a large role.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Sorry, I should have introduced myself at some point - David - Iochroma (with an i ) is one of my favorite plants, and my nickname on many forums.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Sorry, I should have introduced myself at some point - David - Iochroma (with an i ) is one of my favorite plants, and my nickname on many forums.
:D
Thank you for the information, I was just assuming greek torts were so 'diverse' was because many species are super popular in the trade :(
This is a really interesting subject, and could apply to lots of other torts, too... thanks :D