Why do leopard tortoises live longer in the wild?

TumericTJ

Forgive me if I am wrong, but from what I understand, the lifespan of a leopard tortoise is shorter in captivity. Since many wild tortoises will not survive to adulthood, is this just a matter of superior fitness? I do suspect there are certain captivity restraints in almost all circumstances that are less than ideal.

In relation to my first question, I wonder about the logic of cutting up the tortoise's food. Probably this is to simulate small tender greens naturally available? Third, and more generally, are the means we use as keepers to make the tortoise comfortable and appealing (abundance of food, consistent climate, etc) shortening its lifespan?MVIMG_20180407_163612.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
1. I don't know where you read that, but its wrong. Animals in general live two to three times longer in captivity.

For tortoises, I've seen estimates of anywhere from 300 to 1000 babies dying for each one that makes it to maturity. Even sulcatas that are started in the typical wrong dry fashion don't have a mortality rate anywhere near that.

2. I don't cut up their food, but I don't see any harm in it if other people want to. Its all going to be turned into tortoise poop at the other end anyway.

3. No. Just the opposite. Protecting them from weather extremes, drought, predators, starvation, disease and parasites is exactly why they live two or three times longer in captivity, and why they have it so rough in the wild without our help and protection.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Who says leopard tortoises live longer in the wild?