White powder-like substance on leopard's shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flakattack

5 Year Member
Reggie is about 3 months old, and he's started growing his spots nicely, but the other day I noticed that he had some tiny white spots on the front of his shell, like I had accidentally sprinkled calcium on him. When I put him in a bath today I made certain to rub my fingers over his shell and get it off. It looked to be gone until he dried off, and it's back again. Is this some kind of fungus or anything? He looks healthy otherwise, and isn't exhibiting any sort of problems. I don't know if any of you have run into this before, and it's worth asking if you guys know of any way to get rid of it.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
What kind of water do you have? Maybe hard water stains? Just my guess...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It could be fungus it could be hard water a pic would help out greatly

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
A picture would ge great. If it is what I thinkit is, I can tell you what our vet said and how it was resolved. A good closeup picture is needed.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Shell Fungus - Use Athletes Foot cream and it will go away within a few days........

Flakattack

5 Year Member
There's glare, and it's not a great photo, but the white powder is all over the front of his shell.reggieeeee.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Flakattack said:
There's glare, and it's not a great photo, but the white powder is all over the front of his shell.

I have never seen that before. Unsure?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I think it is normal shell growth. Is it happening more between the scutes? How old is your hatchling?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Looks like hard water stains...have you a lot of minerals, particularily limestone, in your water supply?

If so, the calcium is actually good for their shell/bones.

Flakattack

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
Flakattack said:
There's glare, and it's not a great photo, but the white powder is all over the front of his shell.

I have never seen that before. Unsure?

Are you asking if I'm unsure or stating that you are? Haha. The water is very hard, and it's filtered. I may try an antifungal and see if it clears up. It might go away when I move to a place with better water. I guess I should just wait and see?

TortoiseMum: No, it's happening all over the front, like I dusted him with flour or something. Fine, tiny little white specks.

Terry Allan: I don't add things to the water, but it's fairly "hard" water, so that may be the cause. I just know that it appeared again so I was sort of worried.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
Looks like hard water stains...have you a lot of minerals, particularily limestone, in your water supply?

Thats exactly what it is! ......

JD~:)

Flakattack

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

Thats exactly what it is! ......

JD~:)

Alright, thanks guys. I was just worried. I'm always scared I'm going to do something terribly wrong /o\

Status
Not open for further replies.