White mushy wet substance from DT!

gabby.santana

Location (City and/or State)
California
My baby DT just peed some milky lookin cottage cheese substance! Is it digested protein??? Should I be considered????

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is Urates, normal, as long as they are not gritty. If they are gritty, that means they are dehydrated and need more warm water soaks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Gabby:

Evidently you're not keeping him hydrated. I still have five from your baby's clutch and I've yet to see urates from them. The white discharge is urates. If a tortoise is well-hydrated the urates look creamy, sort of like a runny sour cream. If the tortoise is not well-hydrated, it is more gritty, or harder.

Do you soak your baby daily for at least 15 minutes? This is VERY important.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have you been feeding dandelions? That will sometimes makes the urates almost pink. Not harmful in any way, just noteworthy.

I agree with Barb and Yvonne. More soaks, and possibly longer soaks are in order. If I had to guess, I would say dehydration and dehydration related complications are the number one killer of captive raised baby DTs.

gabby.santana

California
No dandelions, but prickly lettuce is a main stable of his food.

I'll try soaking him for about 30 minutes

I make sure to always wet his food and give him Romaine lettuce once he finishes all his weeds to ensure he gets water. I also see him drinking from his dish often.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No dandelions, but prickly lettuce is a main stable of his food.

I'll try soaking him for about 30 minutes

I make sure to always wet his food and give him Romaine lettuce once he finishes all his weeds to ensure he gets water. I also see him drinking from his dish often.

That all sounds okay to me. You should be fine.