White in the corner of eyes

My one year old yellow footed tortoise has white in the corner of both of its eyes. There is no loss of appetite. She is still active and does not seem to have any difficulties seeing. This white has only appeared in the last couple days so I am a bit concerned. Has anybody had a similar issue

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The tortoises from the rain forests often have those tiny bubbles in the corners of their eyes. It sometimes means you aren't keeping them humid or moist enough.

(...oh, and welcome to the Forum!!)

Her substrate is jungle floor. The kind you buy from the pet stores. Her diet consists of mixed greens and a variety of fruits. Mostly oranges and mangos. Her humidity is approx 75-85. I use a fog machine for humidity. The temperature in the cool end is 20.8 celcius. We live in Alberta Canada so we have dry winters. Humidity can be a challenge at times. I soak her at least every 2 days for about 15min. She is soaking right now! I will post a pic as soon as she is out of the bath!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You may have to cover or partially cover the habitat to make it more humid inside.

Randi

Canada
Hi! I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Humidity is a pain here. In order to achieve the humidity I wanted, I had to cover my screen with plexiglass. There is more heat in general, as well as humidity that's gone no lower then 72%. My tort has her eyes wide open and is actually more active as well. There's an awesome thread about closed chambers in the Enclosures section. It helped me a lot.