White Bugs in Tortoise Tank

Midorikawa

Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Apologies if I’m posting this in the wrong section.

I’ve had my tortoise for a little over a year now and I’ve noticed a constant repeat problem. I find white bugs under his water dish.

I usually deal with this by cleaning out his tank, but I just cleaned it last weekend, and they are already back.

I've tried keeping the area dry but it doesn’t always stay that way.

I've never noticed them on my tortoise so they don’t seem to be affecting it.

I’ve never seen them anywhere in the tank but under the water dish.

I use wood chips in my tank, and it’s glass with screen tops.

Here is a picture of the bugs.

A1003A9E-180E-4AF1-91A2-B899EE3D851A.jpeg

Has anyone else had these?

I live in Phoenix, Arizona and don’t usually leave doors and never windows open, so I’m not sure how they get there honestly.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Those are just springtails. They are detritvores, so basically tank cleaners. They won't harm your tortoise, just help with poop and rotting food a bit. Not need to get rid of them. They usually just come back

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
They are called springtails, and their eggs can be in the substrate when you buy it.

They serve as a cleanup crew. They eat leftover food bits and poop, so are beneficial to your enclosure. You are best off if you ignore them. That's what your tortoise does. :)

Midorikawa

AZ
Those are just springtails. They are detritvores, so basically tank cleaners. They won't harm your tortoise, just help with poop and rotting food a bit. Not need to get rid of them. They usually just come back
They are called springtails, and their eggs can be in the substrate when you buy it.

They serve as a cleanup crew. They eat leftover food bits and poop, so are beneficial to your enclosure. You are best off if you ignore them. That's what your tortoise does. :)
Now I feel bad for trying to kill them. Thank you so much!