Whistling nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hi

My Indian Star (Sheldon) is 6 years old. This morning, when I went to feed him, it sounded as though his nose was whistling! I've only had him a week & I've heard they can get chest infections real easy. Am I being an over protective parent?
If this is the early stages of a chest infection or a cold how can I make him better?

Many thanks
Vicki & Sheldon

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What type of substrate are you using? I read your other thread and you say you use pellets ....this may be part of the problem. I would change that to some type of soil type substrate...maybe coco coir or the soil type peat moss (not the stringy type) have you peeked at his nose to make sure no food or substrate pieces stuck on/in the nostril? Perhaps offer a warm water soak to help hydrate some....

Some of the others will be by to offer you their insight...so sit tight...:D

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
ascott said:
What type of substrate are you using? I read your other thread and you say you use pellets ....this may be part of the problem. I would change that to some type of soil type substrate...maybe coco coir or the soil type peat moss (not the stringy type) have you peeked at his nose to make sure no food or substrate pieces stuck on/in the nostril? Perhaps offer a warm water soak to help hydrate some....

Some of the others will be by to offer you their insight...so sit tight...:D

Many thanks for that ascott.
I have tried to look up his nose but he is a very nervous tortoise & tends to pull his head in alot! But he is getting better as the days go by (nervous wise that is).
I think he my have puffy eyes as his eye lids are not flat (they look slightly raised & not too sure if this is right or not).
I bet u are all reading my posts thinking I'm over reacting, but this is my first tortoise and only want the best for my little fella 

Many thanks in advance for those that reply.

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
ascott said:
Puffy eyes and whistling? May we see a pic of his face/head please? :D

Sorry for sounding dumb but how do I upload a pic from my iPhone 

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
RE: Whistling nose/puffy eyes now

ascott said:
Puffy eyes and whistling? May we see a pic of his face/head please? :D

Hi All

Please see the attached pics of Sheldon's puffy eyes! (Sorry they are not totally clear there was alot of glare)
Last night I sprayed down his tank in case this is due to the dust from his subsrtate. I have also noticed he is pulling his head deep into his shell and pulling his arms right up alot, then he slowly lets his head out (as though he is itching/rubbing his eyes)!
I have read this could be due to a Vitamin A deficiency, so Im feeding him carrot & kale today.
Also I am going to try the steaming and bathing method (I read about this on a different thread) to see if this works.
The earliest I can get to a vets is Saturday so Im trying everything I can until then.:(

Many thanks

Vicki & Sheldon:tort:

Attachments

• 060.JPG
    060.JPG
    555.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 061.JPG
    061.JPG
    551.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    527 KB · Views: 47

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I can not see the pics clearly :(

However....please please please do not allow vitamin a injection if you do go to the vet....whistling alone is not a problem .....and if you want to bump his vitamin a intake you can also offer up a few days of baby food soaks (carrot baby food mixed with warm water like half to the whole jar mixed with water--depending on size of soaker) also you can offer canned pure pumpkin--not pie filling stuff....

I think that you said before you use the pellets as substrate....are you still using that substrate?

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
ascott said:

However....please please please do not allow vitamin a injection if you do go to the vet....whistling alone is not a problem .....and if you want to bump his vitamin a intake you can also offer up a few days of baby food soaks (carrot baby food mixed with warm water like half to the whole jar mixed with water--depending on size of soaker) also you can offer canned pure pumpkin--not pie filling stuff....

I think that you said before you use the pellets as substrate....are you still using that substrate?

Yes I am still using the pellet substrate at the moment. I was thinking of changing to top soil & coconut coir. Whats your thoughts on this?

ascott said:

I can only find carrot & pumpkin with either chicken or lamb would these do as I have read that tortoises are not allowed meats??

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
YES YES HE'S please change it straight away :D could you tell I was hoping you would ask my opinion on the substrate?...lol.

I believe coco coir as well as peat moss is good....make sure that the substrate is deep..this way you can add some moisture in the warm area (under basking light/heat source) to provide a touch of humidity but not allowing it to be wet....and with deep substrate the low level humidity will be good but top walking layers of the substrate will be dry....I believe you will find that the whistling will slowly stop with a change of substrate...add of deep substrate to allow you option of low level humidity without wet....

Also...if you are trying to get some vitamin a into the diet...you can also add squash incentive a week at least for a while...but not every day as it is a sugar food....but excellent source for vitamin a and e...both of which are good for the eyes...:D

Apologies..using my dump smart phone and it is always changing up words for me...lol

In my post in the last paragraph first sentence..the word incentive was meant to be the word once....:p

Also, the peat moss I am referring.g to is not the stringy stuff...bit the peat moss that is broken down more ...into a soil texture (can get big bag at LOWES and is 100% chemical and fertilizer free and is less than 10 bucks...

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Thanks for the advice on the ground for Sheldon's tank.

1) will the baby food with chicken or lamb be ok or should I leave this option?
2) will the steaming help him still?
3) am I doing right by feeding him carrot & kale to to boost the vitamin A intake?

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Right guys..... I have my jars of carrot & potato baby food organic (sorry that's all I could get & without any meat).

1) I take it I do rinse Sheldon off thoroughly after bathing for 20 mins?
2) how often do I bath him in this way (is it every day or every other day?)
3) how many baths should I give this way?
Sorry for sounding a real dumbo but it's my first tortoise & only want the best for him!

Status
Not open for further replies.