Which one of these is you?

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
base premise;

I am selling my home

Kerry is coming over this morning and we have to go look at plants to re-landscape my gardens. I have the typical never-cared for azaleas lining the front, overgrown rodo's on the side....junk.

We have fun with this stuff b/c we are so different so we usually laugh our way through the discussions.

She's cheap and will want to minimize spending on bushes and plants for my yard....I am looking at it as an investment.

It illustrates the ideological difference we have about selling;

Kerry believes in the "if it doesn't add value on paper, don't waste your money to improve how it looks" creed.

On the other hand I believe....."that people today buy based on looks & availability, not substance." I will make it look brand new.

Naturally, this made me wonder......how about other folks, what do you all think?

Is there a general consensus about this?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Lol id definitely want to limit cost too because some new owners would probably enjoy the creative opportunity to landscape the garden themselves, plus to spend big on things you won’t get to enjoy yourselves in years to come seems a shame

At the same time though.. eye appeal is buy appeal!😂 I’d personally make it look as nice and tidy as possible, but still give a budget towards some additions to get it looking market ready haha, I’m sure you’ll find your happy medium😊

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I would enjoy a house without "granma's furniture", old carpets and stuff. But a well planted garden with blossoming hibiscus bushes, dense canopy of mulberry trees and some landscaping would be great, perhaps. Trees and bushes take decades to grow (or thousands bucks if bought from nursery), so that's a welcome addition. Just put a neat fence and release the tortoise.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You might go to loads of trouble fixing the place to look amazing and then lose potential buyers because their idea of amazing doesn't match yours, and they really can't be bothered undoing everything! Just make it fresh, clean and neat with a few hints of possibilities.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Kerb appeal creates a lasting first impression – most buyers make up their minds in the first few minutes of arriving at a property. Do not spend money, tidy it up, sweep and clean all windows etc..... save your $$$ for your new home.
Inside declutter and paint any problem areas. Hope it sells fast.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I agree with everyone. Just tidy it up as far as your plants and gardens are. Maybe plant a few spring flowers for extra asthetics. I think some people may want to decide on their own plants. I would. However , maybe your tidied up gardens will sell it. A similar minded buyer would be a lovely addition. 🤗

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Everyone is right - nobody wants your idea of landscaping, but many people can't "envision" a blank slate. Do as cheaply as you can to make it neat, nice, and presentable. Those with vision will discount what you did anyway, those without vision will not "think about" how barren or bad it looks

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
That's some pretty heavy duty Insight Sin....i like it!

We looked yesterday, we didn't buy yet...

We are in agreement now though. We won't be going crazy with it. Neat, nice and with a couple nice plants.

Where I live, the Nursery has Home Depot prices with Nursery quality.

Thanks guys...the consensus is pretty clear!