Which do you like better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
The Blue Tegu (Left), or the Red Tegu (Middle) Or the Savannah Monitor (Right), just wondering, i stumbled onto these after a buddy of mine told me about the blue tegu ( i already knew about savs and reds :D), just wondering opinions :D.

Attachments

• IMG_2326_.jpeg
    IMG_2326_.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 59
  • red%20male%203.jpeg
    red%20male%203.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Savannah_Monitor.jpeg
    Savannah_Monitor.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 47

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Creedence said:
No experience with any of them....but the blue is purdy. :]

lol, i love lizards, probably one of if not my favorite reptile

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like the reds the best out of those three. Best temperament too. You'll need to start propagating some serious roaches if you wan the sav. They need lots of insects. They aren't the meat eaters that we all once thought they are.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Tom said:
I like the reds the best out of those three. Best temperament too. You'll need to start propagating some serious roaches if you wan the sav. They need lots of insects. They aren't the meat eaters that we all once thought they are.

Yeah lol bobby hill told me that lol, i like his reds, he is sold out this yea though.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Tom said:

Underground Reptiles has a very nice selection of tegus, normals to albino blues lol

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
No experience with any of them....but I think the blue Tegu is beautiful :)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
If you're thinking about a new lizard to keep, I'd go with either of the tegus. Like Tom said, there's a lot more to them than previously thought, and both blue and red tegus seem to be a little more hardier and tractable. I also find them prettier, too!

However, they all of course get large!

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
StudentoftheReptile said:
If you're thinking about a new lizard to keep, I'd go with either of the tegus. Like Tom said, there's a lot more to them than previously thought, and both blue and red tegus seem to be a little more hardier and tractable. I also find them prettier, too!

However, they all of course get large!

Yup, and large is why i would like to get into them, i have my beardies, and have bred them, but i would like to get into monitors and tegus, probably before a tortoise, mainly because like i said lol, my family doesn't like tortoises mainly because of bad experiences with them, ex: death, Bites, Smell, etc..... lol, and i have my lizards and they love them, not my house so i can't really say much in the matter :D

acrantophis

5 Year Member
I have owned Reds, black and whites, golds, and many species of monitors. The reds are the most tame. I like water monitors and black throats for impressive size but red tegus are so chill.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
acrantophis said:
I have owned Reds, black and whites, golds, and many species of monitors. The reds are the most tame. I like water monitors and black throats for impressive size but red tegus are so chill.

thats what i have heard, although i prefer savs, i have heard amazing things about them and tegus, i like tegus, the onlt thing i don't like are their jowls.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you want big, get a CB black throat. They are like a sav, but bigger and easier to feed and house. Most of them are hissy, but have a strange inhibition for biting. I've had pissy untamed ones whip at me, but none has ever tried to bite me. Most of them are tamer and better pets than most savs, but when you see a good sav, it is really good. You could always shoot for a female tegu. Smaller jowels.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Tom said:
If you want big, get a CB black throat. They are like a sav, but bigger and easier to feed and house. Most of them are hissy, but have a strange inhibition for biting. I've had pissy untamed ones whip at me, but none has ever tried to bite me. Most of them are tamer and better pets than most savs, but when you see a good sav, it is really good. You could always shoot for a female tegu. Smaller jowels.

How big do black/white/peach throats get? i have a 6' X 3' x 3' for an adult, but thats for a sav/tegu, i have no idea about black throats and i don't know their price?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Blackthorats can get big, 6-7'. White throats are a little smaller, and peach throats are an entirely different species. Black throats cost more than a sav, but less than a red tegu, but they will get too big for a 6' cage.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Tom said:
Blackthorats can get big, 6-7'. White throats are a little smaller, and peach throats are an entirely different species. Black throats cost more than a sav, but less than a red tegu, but they will get too big for a 6' cage.

that i can see lol, i may just get a farm bred sav, that way i can get all the supplies sooner than spending 250 on a red tegu then supplies, but i also hear good things about ackies, but they are too "small: for me and expensive

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
The minimum cage for an adult sav is 8'x4'x4'. Your 6'x3'x3' would be a little too small. Also, savs are more of a display animal than a "hands on" pet. If you happen to come across a "dog tame" sav it is sick, cold, or incredibly well target trained. I have built a very good relationship with my sav and can look forward to being greeted by him every time I come near the enclosure. He's fearless when I'm in the enclosure and doesn't shy away from me, hiss, whip, or exhibit any forms of defensive or submissive behaviors. He even permits handling on occasion but usually not for more than a couple minutes before he's finished with me. I have done an adequate job target training my sav (presence of tongs=food, no tongs= no food) but he still spends quite a bit of time contemplating whether or not I might be edible THIS time. It is a good thing their mouths aren't designed to tear flesh.

If I were you, I'd get the red tegu. If I had room for another large lizard that's the direction I would go in.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
chairman said:
The minimum cage for an adult sav is 8'x4'x4'. Your 6'x3'x3' would be a little too small. Also, savs are more of a display animal than a "hands on" pet. If you happen to come across a "dog tame" sav it is sick, cold, or incredibly well target trained. I have built a very good relationship with my sav and can look forward to being greeted by him every time I come near the enclosure. He's fearless when I'm in the enclosure and doesn't shy away from me, hiss, whip, or exhibit any forms of defensive or submissive behaviors. He even permits handling on occasion but usually not for more than a couple minutes before he's finished with me. I have done an adequate job target training my sav (presence of tongs=food, no tongs= no food) but he still spends quite a bit of time contemplating whether or not I might be edible THIS time. It is a good thing their mouths aren't designed to tear flesh.

If I were you, I'd get the red tegu. If I had room for another large lizard that's the direction I would go in.

What you said about the sav is not always the case, in general, they are more of a chill monitor, with ackies being the best to begin with. Captive bred savs are even more chill and tame down way easier, on the other hand, so do tegus, but either species can be nasty depending on the individual animal and how much positive contact it has had with its owner, would i rather have a sav then a tegu? Yes, if i can find a captive bred one, which is difficult because the price of imports is still so cheap, then only reason i get drawn away from tegus is due to the fact that i have heard people say that they generally are pretty nasty, but i am pretty sure thats just the columbians, and not the argentines, the best breeder i am pretty sure everyone knows of that has "Dog Tame" tegus, is bobby hill, who is currently out of stock on everything :/ lol. In my opinion though, no reptile truly gets "tame" just tolerant, maybe with the exception of some species and animals in particular, but from who i have talked to, both savs and tegus are great to star with, its just a choice of which one to go with. I would just prefer savs because of the generalization of their more relaxed temperament, and the fact they are more readily available, if i get a monitor that is, but thanks to tom yesterday i believe he finally helped me crack the ice with my mom and possibly allow a tortoise in the house :D, it helped that ALDABRAMAN had some threads of little baby aldabras lol, which she liked, but hopefully, i will get a tort in the long run, because i believe it will be more rewarding and easier/cheaper to keep then an adult sav lol they are like garbage disposals :D

Status
Not open for further replies.