Where to get cool turtles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
I currently have 8 turtles ( a red ear slider, yellow bellies, maps and one more I don't know his breed.) I am looking for a new kind that isnt aggressive and doesnt cost more than like 20-40 dollars. I live in Florida and I am willing to buy in store or online. All answers are appreciated!!! Thanks!

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
As far as where to get, I would say turtle source has a very nice selection...What to get? Depends on what you want. Muds and musks have mostly nice personalities. Three-striped muds specifically are very smart, and usually friendly, and don't get to big. 6" is about the max for these guys, so a pair can fathomably live in a 75 gallon comfortably.
Now, florida soft shells are just amazing, as is any species, but you have to be equipped to handle a turtle that will grow anywhere from 1 to 2 feet, depending on sex. A female will get over 18", a male will stay under 12". And these species need a large amount of room. Snapping turtles are neat also, but the same story; get big, eats a lot, needs a lot of room.
Regarding cost though, keep in mind that the initial purchase price is nothing...You have to buy a tank (assuming you don't already have these things) filters, substrate, tank decorations, lighting, etc.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
I already have stuff for them, I can't get anything too big but the 6-8 " is a great size. I don't want a snapping turtle this. Do soft shells bite? I will go check out that website be though!

Amber_123

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
Soft-shells bite, unfortunately, and it is rather damaging as adults.

I sound really picky but I don't want that. A lot of kinds run around my house, and if he got that big I would be outside so I have no controll over that. Plus, my dogs and cats drink out of the water and I would hate for it to get ahold of them. Do you know anything about painted turtles?

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Amber_123 said:
I sound really picky but I don't want that. A lot of kinds run around my house, and if he got that big I would be outside so I have no controll over that. Plus, my dogs and cats drink out of the water and I would hate for it to get ahold of them. Do you know anything about painted turtles?

Check out Paul V. on the KS classifieds. He always has something cool for sale and the prices are right, too.

Softshells are really cool turtles and make very good captives. They do get a lot bigger than your size range but if you can ever spare the space, there's not many better turtles to watch explore the enclosures.
81e2cd13.jpg

Amber_123

5 Year Member
Gerards said:
Amber_123 said:

Check out Paul V. on the KS classifieds. He always has something cool for sale and the prices are right, too.

Softshells are really cool turtles and make very good captives. They do get a lot bigger than your size range but if you can ever spare the space, there's not many better turtles to watch explore the enclosures.
81e2cd13.jpg

I have a large yard so I could spare the space if I really loved them, the problem is, do they bite/are they aggressive ?

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
If you raise them from hatchlings and get them use to handling, they're all right. Every turtle can bite, these guys can just reach a lot farther. It's not really a turtle you hold and play with, due to the larger size. If you set them up right, they're a lot of fun to have.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Before you get another turtle post picks of the one you don't know the breed so you can care for it don't want to sound rude but let's help that one first

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Gerards said:
If you raise them from hatchlings and get them use to handling, they're all right. Every turtle can bite, these guys can just reach a lot farther. It's not really a turtle you hold and play with, due to the larger size. If you set them up right, they're a lot of fun to have.

"True that" so to speak. Mine are rather like the pythons/retics I've raised...Agressive feeding response :(. If I stick my fingers in the water, its dinner time :p.
By the way, how do you set up yours? For smaller ones I have tanks with about an inch of play sand, various pieces of driftwood and large-leaf plants (usually swords), and then a container of some sorts that fits tightly into the corner, held up with magnets/suction cups, about 3/4" from the surface filled with sand, so they burrow into the sand and can reach their head up to breath. As awesome as they are to see swim, in a set-up like mine, I almost never see young ones swim...The times they do its about as rare as seeing a pink spaghetti eel...They spend ALL their time buried in the sand :(.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
Okay, I'll post one tomorrow. The reason why I don't know what kind is because it in my turtle pond, he just showed up and we took him out and he kept coming back. After a couple of times we realized hes not going anywhere. Someone told me it a chicken turtle but I am not sure. Another question, how do you tell if they are a boy or girl?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Male Red sliders have longer tails than female and there nails on front feet are long same for map turtle never heard of a chicken turtle would love to see pics

Amber_123

5 Year Member
Okay, I'll show you some tomorrow! That one is in the pond so that should be fun catching him, haha:)

Amber_123

5 Year Member
image-3334445146.png

I know there are Florida chicken turtles and a couple other chicken turtles, but I have no clue if this is one. Does anybody know?

image-1645298760.png

image-2974306068.png

image-1830324111.png

Please excuse my construction site background, we are building a new koi pond.

Attachments

• image-3528616868.png
    image-3528616868.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

Amber_123

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
He looks like a florida red-bellied turtle to me.

This is going to sound dumb but how came his stomach is like a goldfish cole?:)

Looking through pictures on google of them he does look like that could be him

ianedward1

5 Year Member
Georgia
From what I can see in the pics it looks like a Florida Redbelly (Pseudemys nelsoni), possibly male due to the dull coloration

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep Florida red belly alright just got home from work and looked up a Florida chicken turtle they do look some what alike i live in Texas and never heard of a chicken turtle or even seen one i like there long necks but i have to be honest i thought you were full of it chicken turtle what a name l would love to have one does any one know were i can get one thanks for letting me now about a chicken turtle so to help you find a new turtle i would say a Mississippi map or a musk or one of the side necks i like these because of the long neck

Status
Not open for further replies.