Where has my Russian been?

RainsOn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE OK
I am a new owner of a Russian, Digger.
I purchased him from PetSmart (Pet Smart or Pets Mart?). The clerk informed me he was full grown.
How long does it take a Russian to become full grown? Where has he been all this time? Has he been with the breeder? (They insisted he came from a breeder.) Has he been in various pet stores?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Petsrart russians are wild caught. Your tortoise has spent most of it's life, living in the mountains of afghanistan. Awhile back, some people collected it, and shipped them over here on a rough journey ( for the tortoises).

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
I was so afraid they lied. I had considered a rescue but decided against it as a first time owner.
I'm depressed.
BUT . . he has a good home now.
How can I tell how old he is???

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't think they lie out of malice, just ignorance, maybe one is worse than the other. Just FYI, a rescue more than likely would have been wild caught, very few captive born, are given up. Age will be impossible to tell, guesses can be made of course, but that is all they will be. We can sex it, if you provide a good tail shot, include a complete body photo, with something for size reference, for age guesses.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
He is a male: long/large tail that he keeps to the side when walking.
He is about 5" from front to back on the underside.