When to bring Tortoise inside in NJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmit02

5 Year Member
Well my RT has been doing great outside he seems happy though I have to confess I feel guilty every time a spot of rain falls! But he seems to just go inside his log hut then burrow into the soil to. But as the weather gets more fall like I am wondering as a first time owner when I should bring him in. The temp is around 55 at night and 70s in the day, heavy rain at times. When is it to cold for him to be out at night or at all here in NJ? I do not want him to hibernate as I have only had him for 6 months.

Also I am exclusively feeding him the russian tortoise seed mix grown in his enclosure from the online store Carolina Pet Supply

http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=590

It contains:

Crimson Clover
White New Zealand Clover
Red Clover
Plantain
Turf Fescue
Orchard Grass
Fescue, Creeping Red
Chia
Chicory
Turnip Greens
Timothy grass
Kentucky Bluegrass

Is this enough should I be supplementing this with anything? Thanks as always for your wonderful advice!

Ruth

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
rsmit02 said:
Well my RT has been doing great outside he seems happy though I have to confess I feel guilty every time a spot of rain falls! But he seems to just go inside his log hut then burrow into the soil to. But as the weather gets more fall like I am wondering as a first time owner when I should bring him in. The temp is around 55 at night and 70s in the day, heavy rain at times. When is it to cold for him to be out at night or at all here in NJ? I do not want him to hibernate as I have only had him for 6 months.

Also I am exclusively feeding him the russian tortoise seed mix grown in his enclosure from the online store Carolina Pet Supply

http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=590

It contains:

Crimson Clover
White New Zealand Clover
Red Clover
Plantain
Turf Fescue
Orchard Grass
Fescue, Creeping Red
Chia
Chicory
Turnip Greens
Timothy grass
Kentucky Bluegrass

Is this enough should I be supplementing this with anything? Thanks as always for your wonderful advice!

Ruth

If you do not want your tortoise to brumate (hibernate) it should be brought indoors now. Temperate climate tortoises such as Russians begin to prepare themselves for brumation long before most of their keepers believe. The tortoises begin to sense changes in light duration and intensity in as early as mid August. Even if the temperatures are still warmer then. Temperature change, day length and light intensity all contribute to a tortoises instinct to brumate. Basically light changes tell them that brumation time is coming and to prepare, temperature changes tell them that it is here.

A Russian tortoise diet should include primarily broad leaf greens including and along with: Dandelion, clovers, broad & narrow leaf plantain, lambsquarter, sow thistle, crown vetch, chicory, alfalfa, romaine, endive, escarole, mustard greens, collard greens, beet greens, carrot tops, kale, spinach and more. The food possibilities are nearly endless. The key is good quality (in terms of nutrional value) and variety. With a good diet the only supplement that should be required is a source of calcium.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
I live adjacent to NJ and I brought my Russians in a week ago. Russians don't mind rain, unless it's cold. Its not a good combination for this species. If its nice during the day I will put them outside for a few hours to eat and exercise.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
rsmit02 said:

It contains:

Crimson Clover
White New Zealand Clover
Red Clover
Plantain
Turf Fescue
Orchard Grass
Fescue, Creeping Red
Chia
Chicory
Turnip Greens
Timothy grass
Kentucky Bluegrass

Ruth

I would like to just mention, along with GB's response,....Russians need HIGH FIBER, LOW PROTEIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.