When is it safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Crown Point, Indiana
When would you consider grass/dandelions/flowers safe for your tortoise to be in and eat after being sprayed with weed killer? I'd like to see everyones thoughts on this. :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The following year. My husband just asked if he could fertilize the yard. I told him in the fall, after summer is over and my tort can't go outside anymore. Thats my opinion.

EKLC

5 Year Member
i called up Scotts since the landlord was treating the yard with one of their pesticides, and they recommended no forage for a year

Now herbicide, I'm not sure and a lot of times these things degrade quickly in full sun and with lots of water. You should ask the company of the particular formula[

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would wait a complete full year of seasons...and be certain to water regularly and mow or cut the area down regularly as well during that time and I would not spray any more after that if the area is going to be used for food offerings.....

Even trace amounts will accumulate over time...while some think a little won't hurt...years and years of a little certainly does....no more poisons :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree. One full year minimum, and even then I would only feed new growth that has occurred AFTER the year has passed.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
To some extent, I think it would depend on the type of weed killer used. Some common types that are sold at big name stores are usually not as toxic as something you could find at like a weed specialty store. If it was pre or post emergent, I think a full year is a good time frame...if it was something like Round Up...I don't think you would have to wait as long, but I would hesitate to give you any time frame...perhaps even then a year would be on the "safe side".

By way of personal experience and practice, we NEVER feed weeds or grass from areas that have ever been treated. We don't pick our neighbors weeds or pick weeds off the side of the road, cause you never know what it's been exposed to. That's a bit extreme I think, but I'd rather not take any chances when I have a full backyard of untreated foods.

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
Yes, i agree a full year. My friend and i got into an arguement over this about our tortoises LOL. She said a month or so, and i was like uhh no way!

Status
Not open for further replies.