What's your red-foots favorite food?

Travis

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin, USA
I know my 2 year old red-foot LOVES carrots. Everytime there is shavings of carrots in the food i supply, he always goes for them first.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Definitely banana. If we bury it under everything else in his dish, he knocks and nudges all the other stuff away to get to the banana.

Used to love mango, but not so much lately... I don't know why. IMG_6113.JPG

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Some of my adults have different favorites, top 4 are banana, plum, chicks and cat biscuits.
I'm like zero though. Tend to feed higher levels of fruit.
I have one male who seems to be going through a phase of devouring clover. He love crimson clover. I have one that will not touch animal protein, only cat food. I have another that is not interested in banana too. So it seems to vary, maybe it's how they were reared as I have a mixed bag of adults from all over the uk. :D
Just remembered, when available I think the all time favorite for all my redfoots is figs. They go nuts for figs.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Shellie (my RF Grand-tortie) loves anything fruit. Tucker (my Cherryhead Grandtort) loves protein! His favorite is shrimp. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470424729.402135.jpg here is one cooked shrimp for the both of them. It used to be enough. Now they eat 1 whole shrimp each. They both love hunting for snails in my garden

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Some of my adults have different favorites, top 4 are banana, plum, chicks and cat biscuits.
I'm like zero though. Tend to feed higher levels of fruit.
I have one male who seems to be going through a phase of devouring clover. He love crimson clover. I have one that will not touch animal protein, only cat food. I have another that is not interested in banana too. So it seems to vary, maybe it's how they were reared as I have a mixed bag of adults from all over the uk. :D
Just remembered, when available I think the all time favorite for all my redfoots is figs. They go nuts for figs.

I go nuts for figs too!!!! They are so expensive here in Michigan though..... and you have to eat them fast, or they get over ripe and mushy.....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I go nuts for figs too!!!! They are so expensive here in Michigan though..... and you have to eat them fast, or they get over ripe and mushy.....
I'm growing figs for my tortoises right now. Two plants growing very fast. But so far no fruit.

Attachments

• 1470430713523.jpg
    1470430713523.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I feed high quality wet dog food and boiled eggs for protein and very little else right now.
20-25% Mazuri. Good, old Mazuri.
I don't feed mazuri. Need a bank load to feed my herd mazuri, it's expensive over here. Due to that I've had to find other ways. It may be gross to most, but the cheapest way for me is chicks, 25p each. My protein bill for ten adults per month is £5. They also get worms and slugs.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't feed mazuri. Need a bank load to feed my herd mazuri, it's expensive over here. Due to that I've had to find other ways. It may be gross to most, but the cheapest way for me is chicks, 25p each. My protein bill for ten adults per month is £5. They also get worms and slugs.
Sounds gruesome. But likely what they'd eat in the wild. Dead birds.
Here a 25 pound bag of Mazuri is $32.
At a buck and change a pound, it's cheap enough.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Sounds gruesome. But likely what they'd eat in the wild. Dead birds.
Here a 25 pound bag of Mazuri is $32.
At a buck and change a pound, it's cheap enough.
Yeah it's gruesome, they tare them to pieces, good for the beaks too. They eat the lot, beaks and feet, there's one male that won't eat them, he only eats cat food for protein. I also give them any presents my cats leave on the door step.
I've noticed they are more lethargic the day after a protein fix, they seem to just hold up in the hides for the day.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
What forms of protein have you tried?
Nightcrawlers, superworms, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs. The only protein he likes is rehydrate or wet dog food and I'd rather give him something else. I need to try chicken next.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Now you know why I don't feed it. Not because I disagree, because it's not cost effective with the amount of torts I have.
I do think that animal protein offers most the vitamins needed too though. I don't use any supplements at all, other than cuttlebone if that's classed as a supplement.