5 Year Member
Rosie summer 2012 010.jpgRosie summer 2012 014.jpg
So what kind of tortoise is this?

Last edited by a moderator:

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
I'm absolutely rubbish at this so don't take my word for it.... but I'm going to guess at an aldabra but wait for a few more opinions :) I'm probably totally wrong.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like Gopherus agassizii to me. Where are you?

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
That looks like a big brother to one of my California desert torts, or, as Tom said, the Latin species name gopherus agassizii. Are you here in Cali, as your name suggests?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was gonna' go with marginated due to the flare around the bottom of the carapace.

caligull

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your replies, even you, LeopardTortLover.
I am from Southern California, hence the name. It is not a CDT. This tort has a sharp beak unlike the CDT's soft mouth. I was thinking more on the lines of a Marginated or Greek but I wanted others thoughts. I have added a couple more pictures to clarify. Her shell is 7" in length.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• rosie face.jpg
    rosie face.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 112
  • rosie plastron.jpg
    rosie plastron.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 110

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, that's not a desert tortoise, but let's wait for GBTortoises to come back and give his more experienced (than mine) opinion.

Also, you probably already know this, but I'll mention it anyway. The beak is overgrown.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They have trouble biting off their food and don't get as much to eat as they should.

You can have it filed or trimmed by a vet.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It does appear to be a Greek tortoise, Testudo graeca ssp. but I do not believe that it is an Ibera Greek (T. g. ibera). It lacks several characteristics of that subspecies. The clarity of the of the color, patterns and what would be normal growth and shape are obscured by the prominent captive growth. Lots of ridges and non-typical flaring growth.
It looks more like it could be a Caspian Greek, T. g. buxtoni or possibly T. g. perses which I believe "at the moment" are considered to be one in the same subspecies.
Regardless of subspecies, it does appear to be a Middle Eastern Greek subspecies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I sent the pics to one of my tortoise friends who has T.g. buxtoni, and he confirmed that this is most likely one of them. He said that something looks funny about the plastron, and agreed with the accelerated growth that several others have mentioned.

I actually fostered a T.g. buxtoni earlier this year for International Reptile Rescue - I'm attaching a few pics (before I trimmed his beak). He has now joined Tim/Robin's group. :)

Shelton small.JPGface.JPGplastron.JPGside.JPGtop view.JPGwalking around.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Tell us more about your tortoise if you know. Who, what, where ...
I seem to remember reading about this type being bred by a family in northern California in the 80's and the babies sold to pet stores.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
The first pictures did look like a CDT but the last couple did you clean her up? Now she looks more like an Ibera.

Status
Not open for further replies.