What's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monika

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between a blue/green or red heat bulb. Also can you get a UVB bulb in the shape of a heat bulb or are they all the long usual ones?
thank you
Monika
P.S. Is hay ok for bedding?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Monika said:
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between a blue/green or red heat bulb. Also can you get a UVB bulb in the shape of a heat bulb or are they all the long usual ones?
thank you
Monika
P.S. Is hay ok for bedding?

If you plan to keep the heat bulb on at night, you should go with the red. Supposedly the animals are not bothered by the red bulb at night, while they would feel like it was daytime with the blue/green bulb.

I don't use those bulbs, but I'm pretty sure you can get a UVB coil.

Depending upon what kind of tortoise you have, hay would be ok for some, but not for others. If you want the hay for something for them to be able to burrow into, I guess it would be ok in a part of the habitat, but not over the whole thing.

Just my humble opinions...

Yvonne

Monika

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Brilliant, thanks for that. The hay is only for inside her hide.( She is a Herman).
Monika

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
unless your house gets really cold at night, you don't need the heat on at night. I use heat on one tort at night, the rest of mine sleep in room tempature (72 DEG)

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
K9KidsLove said:
Monika said:
Also can you get a UVB bulb in the shape of a heat bulb or are they all the long usual ones?

I don't use those bulbs, but I'm pretty sure you can get a UVB coil.

***I would recommend NOT using coil UVB lights. They have a history of causing eye problems as well as other health problems. Check out this site for info: www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapy/ph...tests.htm

Good luck
Patsy

Patsy,

I could not get on that site. Did you leave any letters out?

Status
Not open for further replies.