What's the Biggest Size Tank for a Tortoise?

RaeLee

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
+1 on getting pictures of the tortoise and also the enclosure. Please note that if this tortoise came from a chain pet store, it’s a wild caught adult and requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet. There is no tank big enough, and a 40 gallon really only works for a hatchling.
So what is the biggest tank needed for a tortoise. I started with a 29 gallon and then now I’m hearing 40 gallon. I just feel I wasted so much money but then again right not he is adjusting and not moving around and he will be inside not outside.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
So what is the biggest tank needed for a tortoise. I started with a 29 gallon and then now I’m hearing 40 gallon. I just feel I wasted so much money but then again right not he is adjusting and not moving around and he will be inside not outside.
What species? If we’re talking about an adult Russian, there is no tank big enough. You need to build an 8x4 foot minimum indoor enclosure or outdoor pen.
Hatchlings of any species should be started in no less than a 40 gallon, but that won’t last long.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
No tank is really big enough for any full grown tortoise. Unfortunately this is what's sold at chain pet shops. I call it "The Terrible Tortoise Tank starter kit" It's not about the animal to them it's about the profit.

RaeLee

Georgia
What species? If we’re talking about an adult Russian, there is no tank big enough. You need to build an 8x4 foot minimum indoor enclosure or outdoor pen.
Hatchlings of any species should be started in no less than a 40 gallon, but that won’t last long.
I have a small Redfoot tortoise. I was reading everyone’s messages and new the forum and I feel like I did everything wrong:( but I’m making sure he has what he needs

RaeLee

Georgia
Redfoot tortoise

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
One of those GIANT, plastic totes/bins with a lid that you see at Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart are a common choice.
They have a large surface area. They're inexpensive and they can easily become a "closed chamber" enclosure.
But this won't be large enough for even a sub adult.

Relic

Here
There are two routes to go, and this first one is the one we most often travel. Get a tort - often spur-of-the-moment - then panic about setting up housing. Buy something under considerable duress - usually too small, uncovered, and totally inadequate - place tortoise inside and THEN start seeking advice from knowledgeable people. Discover the set-up will never work, money and time have been wasted, then start assembling a correct enclosure. But since money has been wasted, the 2nd set-up is done on a shoe-string budget, and even though it is now a good, healthy enclosure, it is much too small for anything more than the first year of life. Then, plans for a larger, nicer enclosure begin in earnest. Rinse & repeat every year for a half-decade, or until the tortoise can be moved outside. That opens up another can of worms...

Route #2: Consider buying a tortoise. Spend a year studying the species you are interested in, learning everything you could possibly need to know, and carefully building a perfect enclosure that will last the lifetime of the tortoise you desire to keep, with all the correct lighting, humidification, substrate, thermometers, etc. that will maintain a perfect environment. Carefully consider a host of reputable breeders, consult previous customers, and THEN buy the tortoise you have your heart set on, now that the habitat is up and running correctly.

I've never met a traveler of Route #2...