What's on the menu for your tortoise today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WalterSulcata

10 Year Member!
Does anyone feed the dry grasses they sell in the pet stores. I bought bermuda grass, timothy hay with dandelion flowers mixed in and orchid grass. The stuff is fresh smelling and the content labels are nice. The timothy has calcium. Only one problem, my sulcata baby will not touch the stuff. I tried wetting it, nothing. So it acts like a substrate now, because he doesn’t eat it whatsoever. I don’t have good access to fresh grass really like that. All he eats is spinach leaves. Any suggestions. Thank you.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
WalterSulcata said:
Does anyone feed the dry grasses they sell in the pet stores. I bought bermuda grass, timothy hay with dandelion flowers mixed in and orchid grass. The stuff is fresh smelling and the content labels are nice. The timothy has calcium. Only one problem, my sulcata baby will not touch the stuff. I tried wetting it, nothing. So it acts like a substrate now, because he doesn’t eat it whatsoever. I don’t have good access to fresh grass really like that. All he eats is spinach leaves. Any suggestions. Thank you.

Babies are not likely to eat hay by itself. You could chop it up and add it to a spring mix or other greens. The same for fresh grass. Spinach is not a desirable staple. It's okay, just not as the main diet. Try endive, turnip, radicchio, or collard greens, mulberry leaves, opuntia cactus, hibiscus leaves.

WalterSulcata

10 Year Member!
Dizisdalife said:
WalterSulcata said:

Babies are not likely to eat hay by itself. You could chop it up and add it to a spring mix or other greens. The same for fresh grass. Spinach is not a desirable staple. It's okay, just not as the main diet. Try endive, turnip, radicchio, or collard greens, mulberry leaves, opuntia cactus, hibiscus leaves.
Thank you. So the list at the end of your message would be a good staple. I need to try and get some of that then. I have collard greens, not sure about the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.