What you you think about keeping humidity up like this?

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
I have one tort in a tank with a screen on top. Lights and chi are lowered into the tank. Foil wasn't keeping the humidity up so today I took a bath mat and laid it across and then saturated it with water. Humidity has stayed high over 80 all day and mat stayed in placed when I opened the tank. Any reasons this may not be a good idea? ImageUploadedByTortForum1391740424.210922.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
I don't know for sure but the only thing I can think of immediately is that the met could be too heavy for the top too support? The top awns may could fall into the enclosure

Horrible spelling, I meant that the mat could be too heavy for the top and they could both fall into the enclosure. I don't know but it's a possibility.

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
Darwin_T said:
I don't know for sure but the only thing I can think of immediately is that the met could be too heavy for the top too support? The top awns may could fall into the enclosure

Horrible spelling, I meant that the mat could be too heavy for the top and they could both fall into the enclosure. I don't know but it's a possibility.

Not worried about that, it is a strong screen and a light weight mat. I guess more worried about too much moisture but thinking it is probably ok. So far I am happy, been 85 humidity all day and tank is all fogged up.

J_W

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
The mat will probably start smelling and or growing mold. If you regularly switch it out with a fresh one then it shouldn't be a problem.

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
How far off the bottom of the enclosure is your light? From the pic it looks pretty close, only a few inches.

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
My light is about 8 inches from the bottom. Electrical is not touching the mat. I can easily wash the mat every few days. I am pretty happy with this so far. My humidity is high with very little effort. Holding better then my closed chambers do.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
How is the heat in there? Trapping the humidity like that also traps in the heat. Do you have a way to keep it from getting too hot with the light on, or possibly too cool with the light off?