what would you do

Status
Not open for further replies.

natty01

5 Year Member
hi

yesterday when i put my tortoises out in the sun the little one matilda immediatly burried herself in the soil until she was completly covered. she didnt come out again.

when the temperature dropped i brought them in, i had to dig her up to do that and she was completly in her shell like the other day. i rinsed her off but she didnt come out. i put her in her basking spot and after 10 or so minutes she came out she than sat there not moving at all for hours .

in the late afternoon she went into her box and went to sleep. the light went off at 10pm and went on again at 9am this morning miranda ( the big one )came out and after a while trundled up the mountain to bask and eat .

its 12 pm and matilda has still not come out of her box and is still completly in her shell although at some point this morning she has turned around in it.
im worried that with the combined amount of time spent underground in her run and hiding in her dark box she is not going to get enough uv or heat .

should i take her out of the box myself now and place her in the basking spot ?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
A young tortoise immediately burying themselves outdoors and hiding indoors is a perfectly normal activity, especially when constant disruption (picking up, moving, etc...) is taking place. Tortoises are accustomed to establishing a routine based on their surroundings and environment. If their surroundings and environment are in constant change they do what is natural, they hide until things calm down enough to allow them to come out and explore. It is always better to allow a tortoise to come out on their own. Constantly prying them from their hiding spots often results in fear and them hiding even more.

natty01

5 Year Member
thanks.
do you think im doing the wrong thing by putting them outside in the day when its hot ? i read its good for them but on the other hand do you think its the moving from one enclosure to the other each time that could be stressing her out. the bigger one is quite interactive and trundles about a lot , she doesnt bury herself outside usually just trundles about then rests under a plant . the shop said they are 6 months old , they are about 3 inches long . i dont know if thats the right size for a 6 month old .

GBtortoises said:
A young tortoise immediately burying themselves outdoors and hiding indoors is a perfectly normal activity, especially when constant disruption (picking up, moving, etc...) is taking place. Tortoises are accustomed to establishing a routine based on their surroundings and environment. If their surroundings and environment are in constant change they do what is natural, they hide until things calm down enough to allow them to come out and explore. It is always better to allow a tortoise to come out on their own. Constantly prying them from their hiding spots often results in fear and them hiding even more.

October

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Tan Valley, Arizona
No, your torts absolutely need sunlight. As long as you are consistent in your routine, they will adjust. If you have just gotten them, a week or two of complete hands-off, even if it means no sun, will not hurt them and give them a chance to adjust. Then you can start your indoor/outdoor routine. My Russian took about a week before she would even think about coming out when I first got her.

Status
Not open for further replies.