What would you do if?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
This is a true and real scenario for me....so, before you reply. Please think of my feelings and be true to yourself in what you would do if you were in my shoes.

First, I have been blessed with three of the most wonderful Brazillian Redfoots ever. They are all 2010 hatchlings, so I have not had them long...but I love them and own them with the commitment I would be with them forever.

Second, I have been presented with the best offer possible for me. A chance to re-locate to St Thomas, USVI

The problem is there are wild Redfoots on the island and the Dept of Agriculture, Wildlife and the Vet in charge of the program will not allow importation of my tortoises. No exceptions... I can choose to bring them onto the island illegally, with the risk of being fined, torts confiscated and destroyed..... or never being discovered, but if I ever chose to leave the island without a permit from the same Agency, I would not be allow to bring the tortoises off of the island.

So, now the hard part...... what would you do? Stay because you love your tortoises or leave them behind to pursue a life that might keep you there for a very long time.

Humbling question to ponder..... :(

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I relocated 2600 miles to pursue my career, I had to rehome a rabbit and 2 sugar gliders. It was an awful decision to have to make. I could not part with my dogs, however I was seperated from them for 5 months while I was in training, which was awful :( So I can relate a great deal to your dilemma, I feel if it is a career path you have been pursuing and are passionate about you should go and rehome the Torts to a qualified owner. However if it is a career you are not passionate about and will not gain a lot from the experience stay with you Torts. Good Luck, I know whatever the decision it will not be an easy one

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I would Not risk taking them. Find friends or family to take them till you come back or know what your future holds. or find permanent homes for them. Or dont take the job.. but if its a good one.. dont turn it down or walk away..
Write down the Pros/cons of the job. is it just a job. or a great future? career? passion?
TOugh one.. but exciting too!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi E.J.:

I don't EVER do anything illegal. Its not that I'm a goody two-shoes, its that I'm afraid if I do, I'll get caught. So that option isn't even in the running for me.

I wouldn't sell them, but I WOULD try to find a foster home. Someone trustworthy that you can depend upon to take good care of them and give them back to you when you come back.

If this is a permanent move, then I would sell them.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
I had to rehome my sweet pit bull due to breed restrictions in my appartment. I loved that dog and still worry about her. I was at the ASPCA once and saw a dog that looked like her and bawled my eyes out, the poor thing had been bred several times and had heartworms... i went back 3 days in a row to make sure it wasnt my Bently... It ended up not being her. The good point is that your torts are less likely to be abused and exploited like pit bulls. the bad part is that your dont just lose the attachment. I would suggest rehoming to someone you know and can get updates from, or a real enthusiast who would love to give them a home. If you are excited about your opportunity you should take it. It is possible to find a great home for them and you should do what is best for yourself and your torts.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I would go with finding a family or friend who your trust to take care of them while you are gone. It's a very hard decision and I would do the pro's and con's thing and figure out what works best for you..

natsamjosh

5 Year Member
This is a tough decision, I feel bad for you. I had always been a strict "adhere-to-the-law" type of person, but over the last few years of learning about some of the overly controlling and sometimes counterproductive rules regarding wildlife and pet ownership, I don't think the issue is so black and white anymore, at least for me. Very difficult issue, I wish you luck whatever choice you make.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
How long are we taking about here? I would find a home either temporary until you come back or a permanent home . In all honesty if you were moving there forever and not planning on ever coming back, I would move there and a few months later have someone ship them to me overnight. illegal? yes but it is what I would do.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I have had to move and rehome pets before and it is very hard. I would not smuggle them, if you get caught it would not be good for the torts. Besides the way you would have to smuggle them could put them in danger as well. If a friend or family member can't help you then i'm sure you could find someone on TFO that would take them and maybe stay in contact with you and send pics. I hope you find a great home for them and wish you luck on the new job.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
From what I can determine, the importation permits only apply to "exotic" animals. If RF's are "native" according to their definition (and they were certainly resident before 1917), a permit should not be required. I would contact APHIS to get the real story and possibly some help with the importation. Contacting a USDA certified vet locally might assist you in smoothing out any rough spots in the process. Try to get a waiver, stranger things have happened...

And finally... Failing everything else, I would apply for the importation permit just to see what happens. The 'vet in charge' probably will not be the one approving the application. Sometimes things just 'get done'.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I had to think about this when my husband was offerd a job in Mississippi. I have CDTs. I had decided to rehome them and try to get a TFO member to take them. My husband decided we could not have our son move right before his senior year. So we stayed in San Diego and I got to keep my two CDTs and my 17 year old.
I would try to find the best home and not the most money for the torts. I agree with Yvonne a foster home would be nice.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Oh, what a horrible decision to make. My first reaction is to rehome them with someone you trust. My reasoning for that is things work oodly off the continental US. If there was any, ANY, chance they would destroy the animals, I would not take it. But on the other hand, having them overnighted to you sounds like a good idea. Do you know how their postal system works with things like that? The flipside of that is if you have to stay for a few years and successfully get them to you, they will be much bigger when it's time to leave and much harder to sneak back to the mainland.

Such a HARD decision. I hope you figure out something that works for you, EJ.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
emysemys said:
Hi E.J.:

I don't EVER do anything illegal. Its not that I'm a goody two-shoes, its that I'm afraid if I do, I'll get caught. So that option isn't even in the running for me.

I wouldn't sell them, but I WOULD try to find a foster home. Someone trustworthy that you can depend upon to take good care of them and give them back to you when you come back.

If this is a permanent move, then I would sell them.

p best answer. that is what i would do too. lindy

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
My husband and I had to re locate to Alaska from wyoming. I had my red foot
Bert" that i didnt have long, but was just so in love with the fella. But i knew alaska was not the place for him. No matter how much i tried talking myself into bringing him. In the end I re homed him. It was a tearful expirence. and i still miss him very much. But it was the right thing for him. Now while i am freezing my butt off here with temps of Minus 50, he is in florida loving the weather. It was for me and him, the right decision. Also, i keep in contact with his new home and checck on him regularly and even get photos upon request. most of the time the right decisions are the most painful ones to make. good luck.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Thanks everyone for not beating me up.

Funny thing is I asked about a health certificate from my vet.. I asked every reasonable question and the answer was "No,because captive bred torts are known to have parasites and repritory infections". What I didn't ask was, what if my torts were not a Redfoot. I wonder if I could do the for educational purposes? The funny thing is...since people on the island have been known to caputure and own them..there is a possiblility that I could get a hatchling from someone there. I asked her really...you think I would give up my beloved pets to just come to the island and get another?

So, after much thought from everyone.... This is what I am going to do. I am going to go to St Thomas the end of August for two weeks. While I am there checking out everything..my nephew is going to look after my babies.

On the off chance I will be staying, I will see if he or another nephew will be willing to care for the tortoises..because be it so, they will someday anyway...because I do not think it will be mathematically possible for me to out live my torts...provided they all stay healthy.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.