What would you do for a prolonged leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
There is some chance I may be away from the U.S. for a year or so... If faced with a similar issue, what would you do if you had two torts? Anyone ever had their pets fostered by a friend or person on this site? I don't want to give them up by any means, and Its only a small chance I may be going.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Same here i would have someone close look after Shelby I am training my Daughter up as a Tort carer for time god for bid that i am unable to look after Shelby

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
If I was going to be gone that long I would find someone very trustworthy and knowledgeable. Usually when I am gone for short periods I have my family watch my animals, but I WORRY all the while. If you could find someone that has torts that would be willing to care for them that would be the best in my opinion. Then you can see how they care for theirs and know yours would get similar treatment.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
maybe you can find someone here to look after them!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I would ask my mom and sister to look after Nelson. They take care of him when I'm gone for a few days.
I would definitely write detailed instructions and quiz them on his care :p Since I still live at home they pretty much know the routine, I would just have to teach them basically EVERYTHING else there is to know :p

Otherwise I would see if someone on the forum would be willing to take him for me. I know there are a few forum members in my area.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Wow a year is a long time. If I took care of someones animals for a year I would get attached and not want to give them up.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
This may sound harsh but I'd rehome them for the very reason Missy brought up. A year seems too long to just be a temporary thing to me. Especially considering its happened before (I might be misreading TerryOs reply on that one). Are there any chances of it happening again?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Personally I would try to find someone willing to take care of them for a year, before giving up on that idea and just rehoming them...
And of course I would reimburse whoever was taking care of my torts.

I would be willing to take care of someone's tortoises for a year. Yes, you might get attached, but you have to go into it reminding yourself that you are only "fostering" them!

PeanutbuttER said:
Especially considering its happened before (I might be misreading TerryOs reply on that one).

I believe Maggie watched his tortoises for a short period of time when he went out of town.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I too would be more than willing to care for someone's tortoises for a year. As to getting attached - I am attached already to many animals that aren't mine. I love my mom's cat, she is my buddy and I snuggle her whenever I go over there. I buy toys for my EX sister-in-laws dogs. But they aren't mine and I can't keep them. I know that. Anyone babysitting someone else's pets would need to know that as well.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I think if you found the right person there is nothing wrong with it. But you must be confident that they will take all necessary steps even vet visits! I would do it for someone, no problem!

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
DoctorCosmonaut said:
There is some chance I may be away from the U.S. for a year or so... If faced with a similar issue, what would you do if you had two torts? Anyone ever had their pets fostered by a friend or person on this site? I don't want to give them up by any means, and Its only a small chance I may be going.

I think finding a foster is a great idea. Of course for that length of time "I" would pay for all expences and write an agreement that all vet care costs would be reimbursed .... or even set something up in advance for a vet should the need arise.
This is actually a good topic for me to think about. While I dont go anwhere much, still if I had to, I dont know anyone near me who I felt had the knowledge to take care of my torts. But there is a tortoise rescue up in Joshua Tree that I could maybe talk with to see if they could take in some short term fosters..... If I ever needed it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think it would be fair to ask someone to care for them in your absence.

Is there any chance you can take them with you?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Predicting the future is pretty tough- so many things can change. I think I would rehome them with the understanding that the person you sent them to cannot get rid of them without giving you first chance at them.

There are pros and cons to every option. Part of the question, to me, would be what your situation when you came back would be. Same home? New place and maybe even new city? After returning, would you be financially able to start again if you wanted?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
While not exactly my situation, it has some similar issues. For those who don't know, I part time drive an Over-the-road semitruck with my husband. We are sometimes gone from home for a couple of months. Home time may be a few hours as we drive by on our way some where else, a couple of days, or I may stay home for 4-6 weeks straight.

It's hard to leave your critters at home. Nobody and I mean nobody can care for your animals quite as well as you can or in the way you do. You worry about them, you miss them and you feel guilty for not being there. :( I get withdrawals :rolleyes::p:D. Seriously I do. :( I know I could not do it for a whole year.

What I do is I have two people (my friend and next door neighbor and my youngest son) I guess "trained" to care for them. Just like my own knowledge and ways I care for my animals change, so does theirs. They are constantly being retold things, asked to do things different, and so on. So that means you need to have communication lines open. It's can be hard to come up with the best way to tell them the changes they need to make. I trust my son much more with the animals, since he has helped me for years, yet he is still not me. :p:D

One problem you will have that I don't, is once you leave for the year, how will you be checking up on the care? Even with going over it with them step by step, having well written and detailed care instructions, things still get done wrong or forgotten. I do quick checks all the time and always seem to find something not up to my standards.

What happens if this person who is carrying for your animals suddenly can't? Make sure you have back up plans.

So where might you be going?

Status
Not open for further replies.