What would you EAT?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Wow that's amazing stuff. I have heard that the big game hunters usually donate the meat. My hubby wants to know if anyone has tried horse. So far Tom is the closest with zebra. How do they prepare grubs?o_O

They sautéd the grubs. Cooked in an iron skillet with some seasoning. They tasted okay. Kind of a smokey, woody flavor to them. I only ate a few.

I don't think I've ever eaten dog or horse, but I would. I've had some mystery meat in Maźatlan Mexico that might have been dog, cat, or iguana. It was supposed to be beef, but it was not beef. Of that much I am certain.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My brother did in Korea.

I did a Dalmatian job with a dog in Korea. Pet dogs were not common and everywhere we went people were very interested. I never could discern if they were interested because it was a novelty, or because they had other motives.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Copied and pasted from a conversation in a different thread between me and Tom:

"You got me. Im vegan. Yeah, I think we may be doomed to disagree too. You have my opinion on wild caught already. Ill give you my standpoint on meat. Ill tell you what I tell my friends and family just so my opinion is out there. (Ill skip the health perspective which anyone can find courtesy of the World Health Organization.) If you choose to eat meat, fine, but give the animal the respect of being a sentient being. We seem to think of animals as product because the end result of "meat" ends up on our plate. In doing so, we doom their capacity to one of only death. In reality, the animals we consume arent much different from the animals we would be appalled at being consumed. Turtles, dogs, cats, horses are all consumed in other parts of the country. Lets not fool ourselves that somehow they deserve life more than a cow. If our opinion is that certain animals deserve to be eaten, then that sentiment shouldn't be balked at when applied to other animals. Don't get me wrong, my opinion is that no sentient animal should be killed, but the hypocrisy of most people I know is unbearable. Ill quote Matthieu Ricard, 'We maintain a kind of moral schizophrenia that has us lavishly pampering our pets and at the same time planting our forks in the pigs that have been sent to the slaughter by the millions, even though they are in no way less conscious, less sensitive to pain, or less intelligent than our cats and dogs." This in no way states that people who consume meat are evil, which is what is usually taken away. I still feed my dogs and turtles animals. I used to eat meat daily. These are the facts of the matter. This is merely a plea to be more conscious and to do the best you can.

I also usually ask people if they would kill the animal they are eating. Clearly Tom, you would. I think that is a good policy. I would implore one not to, but if need, or want be, then kill the deer yourself with the understanding of its true capacity. If one should refuse to kill an animal personally, and instead buy meat at the store, then visit the slaughterhouse.

No need to start a debate on this, unless you feel you have to. Just thought I'd voice the other side of this issue."

Bambam1989

East Texas
I did a Dalmatian job with a dog in Korea. Pet dogs were not common and everywhere we went people were very interested. I never could discern if they were interested because it was a novelty, or because they had other motives.
I imagine you have worked with alot of dog breeds. Do you have a favorite?

Bambam1989

East Texas
Copied and pasted from a conversation in a different thread between me and Tom:

"You got me. Im vegan. Yeah, I think we may be doomed to disagree too. You have my opinion on wild caught already. Ill give you my standpoint on meat. Ill tell you what I tell my friends and family just so my opinion is out there. (Ill skip the health perspective which anyone can find courtesy of the World Health Organization.) If you choose to eat meat, fine, but give the animal the respect of being a sentient being. We seem to think of animals as product because the end result of "meat" ends up on our plate. In doing so, we doom their capacity to one of only death. In reality, the animals we consume arent much different from the animals we would be appalled at being consumed. Turtles, dogs, cats, horses are all consumed in other parts of the country. Lets not fool ourselves that somehow they deserve life more than a cow. If our opinion is that certain animals deserve to be eaten, then that sentiment shouldn't be balked at when applied to other animals. Don't get me wrong, my opinion is that no sentient animal should be killed, but the hypocrisy of most people I know is unbearable. Ill quote Matthieu Ricard, 'We maintain a kind of moral schizophrenia that has us lavishly pampering our pets and at the same time planting our forks in the pigs that have been sent to the slaughter by the millions, even though they are in no way less conscious, less sensitive to pain, or less intelligent than our cats and dogs." This in no way states that people who consume meat are evil, which is what is usually taken away. I still feed my dogs and turtles animals. I used to eat meat daily. These are the facts of the matter. This is merely a plea to be more conscious and to do the best you can.

I also usually ask people if they would kill the animal they are eating. Clearly Tom, you would. I think that is a good policy. I would implore one not to, but if need, or want be, then kill the deer yourself with the understanding of its true capacity. If one should refuse to kill an animal personally, and instead buy meat at the store, then visit the slaughterhouse.

No need to start a debate on this, unless you feel you have to. Just thought I'd voice the other side of this issue."
I respect this. I actually prefer to raise my own food, whether this be growing veggies in a garden or raising a steer up for slaughter. I then know the animal personally, know how it was treated and how it was fed and that it's death is fast with as little pain and stress as possible.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I get the sushi part. Not my thing either. But whats wrong with yogurt? What about sour cream or cottage cheese? You've got me curious about this quirk of yours.

I LOVE sour cream! I'm sure I've eaten cottage cheese when it's an ingredient in something I'm eating. But no way ever by itself. I guess it's in the same category as yogurt. I just get completely grossed out by the looks of it. The little lumps in the cottage cheese...... Yogurt doesn't look too disturbing until they jam a fork in it and start stirring it around. I guess it's kinda how some vegetarians can't bring themselves to eat meat because they see it in the raw form.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I LOVE sour cream! I'm sure I've eaten cottage cheese when it's an ingredient in something I'm eating. But no way ever by itself. I guess it's in the same category as yogurt. I just get completely grossed out by the looks of it. The little lumps in the cottage cheese...... Yogurt doesn't look too disturbing until they jam a fork in it and start stirring it around. I guess it's kinda how some vegetarians can't bring themselves to eat meat because they see it in the raw form.
Yogurt tastes bad. No matter how much fruit and sugar they put in it, it still has an off taste. I love cream and sour cream. I don't hate cottage cheese but I don't love it. It doesn't have much of a taste. I like ricotta, which is similar to cottage cheese but the lumps have been smashed more.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
A few years back on a trip to Oman, my wife and I stumbled onto a small village who were celebrating the death of a very old local resident.. Part of the tradition and ceremony was to kill, roast and serve up three camels. The meat was all spread out onto tarps on the ground. As visitors and guests, we were offerred up the roasted camel liver from a village elder. Interesting venue, interesting ppl, a ton of meat on an open tarp... Lots of flies...high temps. Later on, we bought our own camel liver (in Tripoli, Libya) and fried that up..... Didnt taste any better...a bit strong.

Hiking in the deep woods of Pennsylvania, we came across a large vicious rattlesnake in our campground. We ended up killing it, but then par-boiled, fried and had with our evening spaghetti meal on the campfire. Quite tasty, really.

Used to catch and cook up big bull frog legs too...quite tasty...better than camel liver.

Bambam1989

East Texas
A few years back on a trip to Oman, my wife and I stumbled onto a small village who were celebrating the death of a very old local resident.. Part of the tradition and ceremony was to kill, roast and serve up three camels. The meat was all spread out onto tarps on the ground. As visitors and guests, we were offerred up the roasted camel liver from a village elder. Interesting venue, interesting ppl, a ton of meat on an open tarp... Lots of flies...high temps. Later on, we bought our own camel liver (in Tripoli, Libya) and fried that up..... Didnt taste any better...a bit strong.

Hiking in the deep woods of Pennsylvania, we came across a large vicious rattlesnake in our campground. We ended up killing it, but then par-boiled, fried and had with our evening spaghetti meal on the campfire. Quite tasty, really.

Used to catch and cook up big bull frog legs too...quite tasty...better than camel liver.
I am not a fan of liver because of the strong taste. Would have been interesting to try the actual camel meat though. Rattlesnake and frog legs are yummy.:D

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Meatloaf is gross....that is all
I don't care for it, but I like meatballs. My husband loves meatloaf and anything with gravy. I like sauces but not gravy so much. Even he doesn't like red eye gravy. I tried scrapple in Pennsylvania. It was pretty gross.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

I used to be the same way with cottage cheese, it just looks disgusting. I don't think I actually ate any until I went keto for a bit and now I eat it by itself, straight from the container.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm a right wimp when it comes to see foods. Anything bigger than a cockle and I'm done. I keep trying to force myself to eat muscles and just end up gipping, can't even get a whelk near my mouth, and don't even mention squid.

Love lambs liver.

The smell of kidney is enough to put me off.

Belly pork cooked on a bed of black pudding is to die for. Mmmmm. Must be cracking with hairs in it too :D

And the best snack is bread and pork dripping and yes with the jelly in it.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man,if it flys,swims,or walks I'll try it . Duck is nasty . Liver is a big no! I've eaten snapping turtle a billion times . Frogs are awesome! Snake is a random meal here in Texas . Alligator is awesome! Alligator gar is awesome . Armadillo is delicious. Man there's just so many good animals to eat . It's all in the way you cook it . But I'm the type of person I'll help anyone with anything . But I'm not going to kill an animal that feed my family and hang it's head on my wall . That's just not how it should be . If there was a dumb person walking in the road and a dog . I'll stop and help the dog before the person . Due to the dog not knowing any better . We were given incisors to eat meat . We weren't meat to be grazers . My wife's cousin from Guam eat dog . I personally would try it . But I wouldn't eat my dog .

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
i will try anything not endangered.
i have eaten spider, locusts and numerous other insects and grubs, dog, horse, donkey, snails, frogs legs, snake, crocodile, camel and any parts of innards offered.
I started by killing and eating rabbits, hedgehog and various birds when i was young as we were such a poor country family.
I would not eat bat, but otherwise i'm fine.
Most of it is nice.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Man,if it flys,swims,or walks I'll try it . Duck is nasty . Liver is a big no! I've eaten snapping turtle a billion times . Frogs are awesome! Snake is a random meal here in Texas . Alligator is awesome! Alligator gar is awesome . Armadillo is delicious. Man there's just so many good animals to eat . It's all in the way you cook it . But I'm the type of person I'll help anyone with anything . But I'm not going to kill an animal that feed my family and hang it's head on my wall . That's just not how it should be . If there was a dumb person walking in the road and a dog . I'll stop and help the dog before the person . Due to the dog not knowing any better . We were given incisors to eat meat . We weren't meat to be grazers . My wife's cousin from Guam eat dog . I personally would try it . But I wouldn't eat my dog .
I love duck. It depends on what kind of duck you get and what it has been fed. I bought a muscovy duck once and it tasted exactly like liver. Yuck! Peking duck in a Chinese restaurant is delicious, as is French duck a l'orange. When we were in France many years ago, one of us ordered duck and the other veal. Both meats tasted exactly the same!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Interesting ! Yeah I've only tried the wild ducks we shot on hunting trips . The result from duck hunting is no longer a thing I do . We hunt pig,frog,deer, fish,dove,and quail that's about it these days . When my grandfather was alive we hunted gator and snapping turtles . But not anymore . They just aren't the same without him . Now I keep snapping turtles as pets . You have to know how to cook them . That's something I never really learned . He had a specific way he'd cook . Looking back I should've paid more attention . But I didn't ever think he'd be gone .