What wattage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elahmine

5 Year Member
I live in Indiana and have two indoor torts. What wattage do I need of heat bulb and uvb bulb. You see right now their in glass terrarium, but I am working on getting a better habitat. I had bulbs that came with the terrarium that worked, but I forgot what wattage they were.

channy

5 Year Member
Depends how far the light setting is! I have 75w but I also live in the UK where it is cooler! For the UVB bulb its not measured on wattage! Dont know if this helps!

ekm5015

5 Year Member
More info is needed:

1) What kind of tort and how big are they?

2) How big is the cage they are in?

3) What type of bulb are you looking to use?

-There are a few choices. You can use flourecent lights that come in the form of tubes or bulbs you can screw into a socket. If you choose to use flourecent light for UV, you will need a secondary heat source (heat bulb or Ceramic heat emitter).

-The other choice is getting a Mercury Vapor Bulb (Zoo med Powersun or Trex). This bulb provides UVB, UVA, and heat. Depending on the size of your torts and their enclosure will depend on what size wattage to get.

-The third choice is to stick them in the sun. The sun is the best bulb and you dont have to worry about the wattage.

elahmine

5 Year Member
Well I let them play outside, but the live inside. Their encloser is 36 by 18 by idk. I'm trying to get a bigger encloser the lamp is about a foot above their habitat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What species of tortoise are we talking about? A redfoot will need a different set up than say a leopard. If they are getting regular sun you can skip the UV bulbs and just use a regular incandescent from a hardware store. I'd get a 75-100 watt flood and adjust the fixture up or down to get the desired temp. I also use a flat rock, like a piece of slate or flag stone, directly under the lamp. You ought to use both a remote probe on a digital thermometer (10 bucks at any hardware store) and an infared temp gun (about $25 online or at a reptile store). The wattage isn't critical, the temperature is. In the winter, I'd recommend a T-rex Active UV heat bulb. I like the 160 watt floods for this purpose. This bulb is a Mercury Vapor Bulb or MVB. It gives you heat and UV all in one single bulb. Its the next best thing to sunlight.

elahmine

5 Year Member
Tom said:
What species of tortoise are we talking about? A redfoot will need a different set up than say a leopard. If they are getting regular sun you can skip the UV bulbs and just use a regular incandescent from a hardware store. I'd get a 75-100 watt flood and adjust the fixture up or down to get the desired temp. I also use a flat rock, like a piece of slate or flag stone, directly under the lamp. You ought to use both a remote probe on a digital thermometer (10 bucks at any hardware store) and an infared temp gun (about $25 online or at a reptile store). The wattage isn't critical, the temperature is. In the winter, I'd recommend a T-rex Active UV heat bulb. I like the 160 watt floods for this purpose. This bulb is a Mercury Vapor Bulb or MVB. It gives you heat and UV all in one single bulb. Its the next best thing to sunlight.
They are russians.

Status
Not open for further replies.