What was your first turtle or tortoise ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Mine was a little mud turtle. He was awesome! I didnt know much about turtles but got some good advice. Belive it or not we got him at a flea market for about 5 bucks. I was their a few months ago and they were still selling them for the same price!

So what was your first?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Mine was a western painted turtle about 6" long I found moving from a lake to a pond the other side of the rail tracks outside of Minneapolis, Mn.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Mine was probably a ThreeToed Box Turtle growing up in Arkansas, its hard to remember since I was always dragging stuff home as a kid. Dont get my mother started about the snakes I used to *hibernate* in my closet and her house plants. :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I have to many catagories :p The first turtle that was picked up for me is lost in the sands of time. I'd love to think it was and Eastern box turtle, but most likely it was an Eastern painted turtle.
The first turtle I picked up was probably an Eastern painted turtle, that also is lost in the sands of time.
The first turtle I bought and kept was a Temple turtle, Heosemys annandalii, was Hieremys annandalii. He grew up to be an 18 inch brute that weighed 35lbs. He's in Florida now. :D
The first tortoise I got was a Hermanns tortoise in 1977. Unfortunately he didn't last long. :(

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
My little Russian sweetie, Carmine!
103_4462.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I compliment all of you who have sent in pictures. You do great work!!

My first tortoise was a female Gopherus agassizii (CA desert tortoise) that my son asked me to take because his new rottweiler pup was chewing on her. He got her from a farmer who had run his disc over her while plowing between the vineyard rows. He rushed into the house and all he could find was a new package of Play Doh. He packed the crack in her carapace with green Play Doh and gave the tortoise to my son. He had her for a year before he got the pup. When I took her in over 30 years ago, she still had a touch of green showing way down inside the crack. She never developed an infection, and I still have her. She was an adult when she was run over, and so she is probably now 60 or 70 years old.

Yvonne

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I was always finding eastern boxies as a kid but we would only keep them for a couple of hours and put them back. When I was older, my dad was the director of a YMCA camp so we always had huge snappers at the nature center that would get pulled out of the lake. My first official tort of my own was my 3 sulcatas that I have now.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Mine was a little RES when I was about 5 years old(50 years ago!). Of course he came with his own little lagoon and a box of dried flies to feed him. He disappeared 3 days later in the basement where I kept him. :(

Next was a baby alligator which died about 2 weeks later. He never ate a thing. My next turtle was 2 RES from turtlesale almost 3 years ago. Still have them, well one passed while hibernating this winter.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
my first and only are my current pair of DT babies

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
jenrell23 said:
My first were 5 boxies!!

When I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn, a hundred years ago, for as long as I could remember there was a box turtle living in our yard. We were never allowed to feed it. My Dad said it was wild, and free and didn't want it to become dependent on us. We knew winter was on it's was when my Dad raked all the leaves into a pile in the back of the yard, just in case Frank (named after our Uncle who we thought he looked like) needed a place to sleep. Then we didn't see Frank until the Spring. We couldn't wait to see which one of us saw Frank first. My Dad had a big vegetable garden, many fruit trees, and loads of compost which he made in the back of our yard, which was filled with bugs. (so much for Frank not being dependent on us) If any fruit fell, and we didn't pick it Dad would say "leave it for Frank". The same with the vegetables. We always saw him munching on a tomato, or a fig, or an apricot. We also had a big strawberry patch where you could always find Frank taking a nap. The only thing my Dad did was always keep a really big dish filled with water in case Frank needed a bath or a drink. When I got married I was 22, and Frank was still there. As the years passed I used to bring my kids there to see that old boxie. He was never sick as far as we could tell. When my parents died, my sister took over the house, and Frank is still there. Now in the Spring I bring my Grandkids there to look for Frank. He is over 50 years old as far as I can tell.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
terryo said:
jenrell23 said:
My first were 5 boxies!!

When I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn, a hundred years ago, for as long as I could remember there was a box turtle living in our yard.

What a great story! Your dad taught you a wonderful lesson and what a lucky turtle!

Yvonne

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
i have a Red eared slider it was my first turtle

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
terryo said:
As the years passed I used to bring my kids there to see that old boxie. He was never sick as far as we could tell. When my parents died, my sister took over the house, and Frank is still there. Now in the Spring I bring my Grandkids there to look for Frank. He is over 50 years old as far as I can tell.

What lovely memories you have and now get to pass along to your Grandchildren. I hope I am so lucky.

Misty

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I must have been about 8..? 35 plus years ago.. I had a little water turtle. Looked like a red ear, but no red ears.. I dont recall how long I had him.. not long.. I had him out side to get some sun, he died.. :)Timothy was his name. Buried him under a tree I planted. And I recal my first tortoise encounter.. WAY.... back when at the San Diego Zoo they used to let kids ride the Galapagos torts.. I did.. Sure wish I had a picture of that!! Have always loved them.. Its not till recently that I started looking into diff species and learning about it all.
I like thier speed...:)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Mine was a RES with the plastic lagoon and palm tree. It didn't last long I think a few weeks. Would find soft shells when camping but only kept them while we camped then set them loose. My first tort was a DT named Clyde. Had a hole in his carapace that my dad filled with “Shoe Goo” (a type of silicone I think but made for sneakers). He lived in the back yard but hibernated under my brothers’ bed. When Clyde would go under my brothers bed my mom would move the bed and cover him with a cardboard box. When we saw the cardboard box roaming around the house we knew Clyde was up and spring was here. Clyde disappeared from the yard one day and was never found. We had Clyde about 7 years.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What great memories.. I remember when I was a kid we found water turtles that just hatched out sunning I guess, My mom let us keep two, then I decided to let mine go back in the pond a few days later, and my sisters bit her and escaped into the pond a few days after that, she cried and I was happy. We had a lot of turtles in the lake and the pond behind our house. I don't know what kid they were though,

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
awesome story terryo. I want to ecourage you to submit that to reptiles magizine in the back they have the "living with reptiles" section every month. Try getting a picture of frank

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
there are some great stories on this thread! nice job everyone

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My first turtle was a Carolina Box Turtle that was brought into the animal hospital I worked for. It was about 9 years ago. There were several brought in because of HBC (hit by car). I didn't feel like they were being tended properly on my days off cause the other techs weren't intersested in non-dog/cat critters. So I asked the vet if I could bring them home along with their meds and take care of them here. It was agreed if any were able to be released that I had to do it. Sammy was my first. He was adult. When he saw me going toward his enclosure with the fishworm container he would stand up on the side like he was a puppy. I kept him a little over a year. I sure hated to let him go. He zoomed off when I turned him loose, but turned around about 10' away & looked at me as tho he was saying bye. Made me cry. I still have rehabs, including Billie Box who will stay with me. A dog took his eye out. He is 3.5". I've had him over a yr.
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.