What type of Tortoise is this?

Melis

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I agree it appears to be a sulcata. It also appears to have sand on its shell. If that's the case, the substrate should be changed immediately as sand is an impaction risk. Orchid bark or coco coir seem to be the substrates of choice by most.

Michael Malone

Dallas, Tx
I was thinking desert also cause of the darker color and the spurs do not look as pronounced but I am not even close to being a professional lol just my opinion.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would be more inclined towards desert tortoise.
I agree the color does look a little desert tortoisey, but I've had sulcatas that were dark and had that sort of patterning with the dots in each scute. The leg scales are sort of in-between the two species.

The deciding factor for my guess is the lack of a nuchal scute. DTs have one. Sulcatas don't.

Maybe we're all wrong and its a little Chaco baby. Those don't have a nuchal scute either, and that might explain why the leg scales don't really fit on a DT or a sulcata. I have zero experience with Chaco babies.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Sure looks like a young chaco to me. They commonly get those dark, almost black new growth seams. The lack of nuchal. The scalation on the front legs. General scute layout. All looks chaco. Chelonoidis chilensis

Giancarlo Minotti

Ive been confused as to whether it was a Sulcata or Desert- i originally though it was a DT but had my doubts due to her being lighter/tan on her body. But now that yall brought up Chaco's im even more confused hahaha, shes not mine shes a neighbors, the neighbor seems to think its a Sulcata- but I had my doubts so I thought it would be a good question to ask on TF

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I agree the color does look a little desert tortoisey, but I've had sulcatas that were dark and had that sort of patterning with the dots in each scute. The leg scales are sort of in-between the two species.

The deciding factor for my guess is the lack of a nuchal scute. DTs have one. Sulcatas don't.

Maybe we're all wrong and its a little Chaco baby. Those don't have a nuchal scute either, and that might explain why the leg scales don't really fit on a DT or a sulcata. I have zero experience with Chaco babies.
Nah chacos when they are babies are very distinguishable from deserts and Sulcatas.

Chacos are dark and have areola spots.
The 2 small ones are 5 weeks old and the larger one a year.
2B006080-4F9C-499B-B59B-2076D4F54C1C.jpeg