What type of tort is this?-- For adoption at SD County Shelter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Does anybody know what type of tortoise this is? He/she looks extremely sad. Greek?... Odd looking Russian?.....

15pmy41.jpg

This OTHER - ID#A1406169
I am a brown Tortoise.
My age is unknown.
I have been at the shelter since Apr 09, 2011.

San Diego County Department of Animal Services - Central Shelter
www.sddac.com
(619) 236-4250

5480 Gaines Street
San Diego, CA 92110

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am bad at IDing the med tortoises but I would say a greek, nice find for someone who wants one. Like me.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It's definitely a Marginated tortoise, Testudo marginata. From the photo there is no way of telling if it's a male or female. It does look like it's got some pretty substantial shell damage above the front leg along the marginals. Other than that, based on the one photo, it doesn't look bad. Hard to tell how big with no reference but it looks to be possibly mid-sized around 5-8", possibly bigger.

mckline

5 Year Member
Sure does look sad in this picture. Hope he finds a forever home soon. Poor thing.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
MichelleCarrigan78 said:
would this be considered MBD?
I would say yes, notice the sloping back shell, plus the legs look funny IMHO.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do you think with the rear legs like that possibly he can walk using them? Or do you think he is unable to? I would love to rescue him but I don't know alot about these guys? Any opinions please...

Hey all....I just visited the San Diego Site and this little guy is not showing there any longer.....hope he made his way to a good home. They do have two RES though :) Just saying....

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
That marginated tortoise looks like she got bitten over her left shoulder, perhaps by a dog. A little bit of pyramiding, too. The beak is somewhat overgrown, but the claws look fine. Probably feels unsettled because it is living in a cage with little heat or light, and no substrate to burrow into, where it would be able to stay a bit warmer and moister. This tortoise has been through some tough times, but it doesn't look all that unhealthy to me. I think a good tortoise keeper would be able to turn her around.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
:( It has the saddest look in its eyes. I'm hoping it'll be adopted and be taken well care of!

Status
Not open for further replies.