What type of Shell rot is it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connie

5 Year Member
Here are pictures of my Ruby. I hope it shows up in my thread, otherwise I did someting wrong...Can anyone tell me what type of Shell rot it is?? As you can see the plastron is eaten away in all areas. I just got her back for the pet stores vet. They STill did not get back to let me know what or rot it was or what they did....Never mind -you guys helped me with my Ruby..Shorty after I bought her on Christmas eve. I noticed her Plastron was all dry and flaky. I just put on some Vitashell thinking it was dry, UNTIL I READ ON THIS WEBSITE IT WAS SHELL ROT. I gave her back to the Pet Store for they said they have a Vet to treat her. I just got her back a few days ago and I STILL do not know what type of Rot she has (had). I was told on this Website that it is okay to use both the Neosporin and Lotrimin. I (hope)figured out how to upload pictures so here is ta ta Da--MY RUBY!!! I also include two pictures of her in her Hospital like setting until 100_1744.jpg100_1750.jpg100_1745.jpg100_1749.jpgshe is well on her way to healing. She is shiny because she is coated with Neoporin and Lotrimin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Connie said:
Here are pictures of my Ruby. I hope it shows up in my thread, otherwise I did someting wrong...Can anyone tell me what type of Shell rot it is?? As you can see the plastron is eaten away in all areas. I just got her back for the pet stores vet. They STill did not get back to let me know what or rot it was or what they did....Never mind -you guys helped me with my Ruby..Shorty after I bought her on Christmas eve. I noticed her Plastron was all dry and flaky. I just put on some Vitashell thinking it was dry, UNTIL I READ ON THIS WEBSITE IT WAS SHELL ROT. I gave her back to the Pet Store for they said they have a Vet to treat her. I just got her back a few days ago and I STILL do not know what type of Rot she has (had). I was told on this Website that it is okay to use both the Neosporin and Lotrimin. I (hope)figured out how to upload pictures so here is ta ta Da--MY RUBY!!! I also include two pictures of her in her Hospital like setting until she is well on her way to healing. She is shiny because she is coated with Neoporin and Lotrimin.

The plastron looks Normal to me.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
looks normal to me too, but it looks like their is alot of vitashell or some type of ointment on their so they could be hiding what we need to see.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I see a small amount of healed erosion. As to the type, Dr. Mader, in the book "Reptile Medicine and Surgery" discusses two primary types- wet or fungal, and dry or bacterial. It is his belief that most tortoise rot is bacterial- but I think a lot of us keep our tortoises on wetter substrate than he is used to.

Connie

5 Year Member
Maybe it didn't show up in the pictures, but there is alot of erosion uneven and peeling plastron. Her plasrton was scrubbed by both the vet and I, so wahtever is was is pretty much gone. If I didn't have on the neosporin and fungal creme,(I guess the shine hids alot of indentions) the plastron would be very dry, dull, peeling and indented in areas. There are very thin areas by the front legs(round indentions), so thin that you almost see the skin.Look at the third picture to the left in the picture, you see a round hole indention, the other side also but not as bad, The whole plastron is hills(Normal areas, but not much of that) and valleys--alot of valleys. I have to make sure whatever is or was will not come back so she can heal... Yes it looks like what ever it is is gone, but it did damage. What was it Is the question , Fungal or bacteria so I can stop using both the fungal AND Neosporin. BTW when do you stop--when you no longer see anything, like now?? I am just paranoid it will come back . Her plastron is thin in areas. Those thin areas will thicken up in time,yes??. Maybe I should have labeled this --What type of rot WAS it???

BTW I also am also leaning toward that it was bacteria....

Connie

5 Year Member
I got Ruby(redfoot) out of that paper towel enviornment(she was unhappy there) since I showed the pictures because she appears from what eveyone saw here that she no longer has this rot.She just has to heal... I put her on cage carpet with New Zealand spagum moss in her hide and little round humidifers that spray a cool mist to keep the air and top of shell moist. These "personal" humidifiers(got from Bed Bath and Beyond) are round like a baseball and are a little bigger than a baseball and cool to the touch. I velcrove them to the wall but no big deal if they get knocked over. I intend to keep her plastron on dry side because I do not want anymore rot and her top shell moist.....

Connie

5 Year Member
Here is her habitat now with the small humidifiers..

Attachments

• 100_1759.jpg
    100_1759.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 21
Status
Not open for further replies.