What tortoise can be housed with my Sulcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I am looking to get maybe two more tortoise hatchlings and I was wondering if you could house different kinds of tortoises together?
I have a 24 X 48 inch enclosure. I really like the Leopards, Cherry heads and aldabra tortoises.
I know its not good to have just two hatchlings housed together but maybe three...

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
I'm with Delano on this one. With a sulcata's care parameters and personality,I wouldn't recommend putting anything other than a sulcata in with him.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Only conspecifics, period!

The habitat requirements across species is different albeit some are similar. However, it's unnatural to house two species that would never have interacted in the wild together. Outside of habitat requirements here are some other things that make intra-species enclosures less than satisfactory (in my mind):

1. Parasites and disesases that evolved with one species may not have with the other - this is a big risk when we're talking about cross-species infection(s), as a new parasite/disease has a greater potential to kill a novel host.
2. Dietary differences - not all species are consuming similar foods - especially redfoots and Sulcatas!
3. Apparent size and behavioral differences - a Sulcata is huge in relation to a cherryhead, russian, or leopard. The size difference poses a risk and behavioral differences could exacerbate the matter if larger individuals are more aggressive (not always the case).

There are plenty other reasons, but I'd say no go! Keep the same species together, I don't advocate for mixing.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would plan for individual yards/enclosures for each tortoise you care for...right now your sulcata is tiny...but will be large...a leopard can grow to a fair size and an aldabra...well really large...and a redfoot would never gain enough size to be safely housed with any of the torts you mentioned ....

In addition to your sulcata if you are going to get a leopard and aldabra I hope you have some serious property :D

Strssdmom72

5 Year Member
BrinnANDGupta said:
I am looking to get maybe two more tortoise hatchlings and I was wondering if you could house different kinds of tortoises together?
I have a 24 X 48 inch enclosure. I really like the Leopards, Cherry heads and aldabra tortoises.
I know its not good to have just two hatchlings housed together but maybe three...

I am very new to tortoises, but 24 in by 48 in barely sounds big enough for one tortoise. I wouldn't think about getting another one until I built a large tort table or other enclosure. JMO

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Well I'm no expert, but I have researched this topic to no end and it is do able and it is done, but it is a risk.

A lot of hatchlings appear to have very similar needs, but the larger tortoises or adults may not, so that to me is the biggest issue. Sure the parasite thing and the other possible common issues are there, but really those may just be argument points.

The fact is a sulcata will get big and will need an enclosure and can't be with a smaller tortoise.

So even if you are willing to take the risks you can't ignore the fact very soon you will have to separate them.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
"the parasite thing and the other possible common issues are there, but really those may just be argument points."

really? simply argument points, wow. :(

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
ascott said:
"the parasite thing and the other possible common issues are there, but really those may just be argument points."

really? simply argument points, wow. :(

I'm not trying to discount the validity of the argument, but I have read both sides of the argument and both sides have valid points and it usually ends with the person deciding to risk it or not.

But the fact that the sulcatas will get big can not be argued. So if you decided to risk it and get a smaller breed, you will eventually, probably sooner than later need separate enclosures.

To some housing different breeds is a crime, but to some it's not.

M

Maggie Cummings

There is the fact that each species carries pathogens indicative to itself. Those pathogens carry the possibility to make the other species either sick or dead. This is FACT not a point of argument. Number 1 rule of tort keeping, do not mix species...

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
maggie3fan said:
There is the fact that each species carries pathogens indicative to itself. Those pathogens carry the possibility to make the other species either sick or dead. This is FACT not a point of argument. Number 1 rule of tort keeping, do not mix species...

Yep, read it, not arguing against it, but I have seen people discussing Captive breed turtles and what they may or may not carry and more importantly I have seen plenty of people keeping multiple species together for years and years with no issues. I have even read plenty of threads on this forum about people successfully mixing breeds.

But again I'm not suggesting it nor advocating it, I think my point was missed, I was moving past the usual argument and to the fact that both sides have to agree on, the sulcata will get big and will need a separate enclosure.

Of course any husbandry point of view can be argued fact or not, it's all up to the keeper to decide what they want to risk. I have known people that raise tortoises with dogs and they are unmonitored, my dogs are great, but that would never happen here.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
got your point ripper :D:D

Good, thought you were saying that the idea of a multi species yard was aok and that the issue of pathogens should be of little actual concern...... :D:D:D:D:D

btw, if you do feel this way, it is completely your choice....I was just a bit shocked at the message in the way that "I" read it.... :D

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
ascott said:
got your point ripper :D:D

Good, thought you were saying that the idea of a multi species yard was aok and that the issue of pathogens should be of little actual concern...... :D:D:D:D:D

btw, if you do feel this way, it is completely your choice....I was just a bit shocked at the message in the way that "I" read it.... :D

Sorry, did not mean to come off that way, I have a 2 year old with me 24/7 so I type fast.

Well truthfully I don't know how I actually feel about a multi-species yard as far as just the bacteria thing goes, I would have to become way more educated to decide that. But I do know my sulcata will get big and would probably crush a smaller tortoise playing "leap frog" wink wink. So I would never chance it, plus I have seen adult sulcata bullies and it ain't purty so for me, one is enough.

But even if you decide to risk it with hatchlings due to their small size or similar needs that is very temporary and will need to be changed very soon, so as always you need to plan ahead, these babies will all get bigger and have different needs as they grow.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LMAO....I remember when my son was small....anything that I wanted to get done had to be a turbo speed ....so as to be able to keep up with him and his hundred task a minute mind....LOL
:D

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Yea, my boy is so much, let's say busier than my 2 daughters, he keeps you on your toes.

Personally I'd like a couple Red Foots, but I'll wait until Peanut out grows her hatchling home and moves to an outdoor tortoise table, than I'll get a couple Red Foots or is it feet.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.